1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

5ghz Bands Suddenly not visible

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Chris121284, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Chris121284

Chris121284 New Around Here

So I've had the ASUS AC5300 router for about a month now with countless issues. The latest issue is that both my 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2 bands have just fully disappeared from my list of available networks on all devices in my home. I have no idea why this happened. They have been visible and I have used them both this entire time up until today. Has anyone experienced this? I've searched the forums but I've found no solid answers.

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Firmware version?

OE

3. TonyH

TonyH Very Senior Member

Have you reloaded f/w and tried? It is known some times radio chip(s) can go bad.

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

You said a few hours earlier that you had returned the router.:rolleyes:

5. Chris121284

lol i sure did. jumped the gun on that, went to amazon right after and realized i was ONE DAY past the return allowance, so now i'm stuck with this thing.

Using Merlin 384.6, actually did a factory reset a few days ago to just start from scratch, when i pulled up the admin page after that, it still said it has merlin 384.6 intsalled. Not sure if that's normal or not. Also I'm a total noob if you can't tell so I'm not even sure how to reload the firmware. I thought when I did the factory reset, that would take care of it.

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

:eek: I know that feeling. But actually I've found Amazon very reasonable about that sort of thing if you say it's a hardware fault, at least in the UK. EU consumer law covers customers against hardware faults for 2 years.

No, all a factory reset does is reset the configuration settings. It doesn't change the firmware. If you want the Asus firmware back on it you will have to flash it again. I suggest you do this for troubleshooting purposes (remember to do another factory reset after you flash the new firmware).

7. Chris121284

oh wow ok thank you i didn't know that. I guess I'll give that a whirl. Seems like every time I try to fix something, two new problems appear.

8. Chris121284

Now that it's been weeks, I wanted to share that I worked my magic and got amazon to trade me a new router. Now I just have to figure out how to set up this damn PIA so I can stop being DDoS'ed on PS4

indark likes this.