What's new

5Ghz issue with one client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calvin tran

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have a RT-AC86U as main and a RT-AC68U as AP(wired) running Merlin version 19. One of my samsung tablets can connect with the 5ghz from the AP but not with the main router. The same tablet has no problem connecting with router using 2.4Ghz band.
I verified my other clients, which are only use to 5Ghz band, have no problem connecting to the AP or router. It seems like the tablet is the problem but I don't understand why it has no issue with the RT-AC68U.
I upgraded fw to version 19 a week ago and the issue just happened today. What can I do further to make sure it's not my router? thx

Hi,
I have a RT-AC86U as main and a RT-AC68U as AP(wired) running Merlin version 19. One of my samsung tablets can connect with the 5ghz from the AP but not with the main router. The same tablet has no problem connecting with router using 2.4Ghz band.
I verified my other clients, which are only use to 5Ghz band, have no problem connecting to the AP or router. It seems like the tablet is the problem but I don't understand why it has no issue with the RT-AC68U.
I upgraded fw to version 19 a week ago and the issue just happened today. What can I do further to make sure it's not my router? thx

Smart Connect enabled on the main router? If yes screenshot of the Smart Connect Rule page could be useful.

Smart Connect is off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-081816.png
    Screenshot_20200915-081816.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 111
Common issues are:
  • The router uses a channel that is not supported by the tablet (manual set the 5 GHz channel to one out of 36, 40, 44 or 48).
  • The router is fixed to an unsupported Bandwidth (set it to Auto).
  • The SSID contains characters the tablet does not like (avoid odd characters: only use Aa to Zz and 0 to 9).

What's the 5GHz channel RT-AC86U works on?
Maybe is too high up, into UNI-II-2A or 2B or 3 and that tablet does not support that channel. While RT-AC68U works on a lower channel that's supported.

I have two identical samsung S2 9.7" and one of them has issue while the other has no problem. I set auto for bandwidths and channels, I can play around with those settings.

No, they are both wifi version. The channel bandwidth is setting at auto 20/40/80Mhz.
I set channel bandwidth to 20Mhz and 40Mhz and the tablet connects w/o any issue. I didn't try 80Mhz because i got yelling for playing around with the router at the peak hours.

No, they are both wifi version. The channel bandwidth is setting at auto 20/40/80Mhz.
I set channel bandwidth to 20Mhz and 40Mhz and the tablet connects w/o any issue. I didn't try 80Mhz because i got yelling for playing around with the router at the peak hours.
Leave the channel bandwidth at 20/40/80. It's the Control Channel that you need to concentrate on. Set it to something between 36 and 48.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!