What's new

5GHz not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
Just got a new AC86U router. Replaced my AC68U - which I made an AP for the other side of the house. Installed Merlin (384.11-2) on the router and all seemed well. Until I noticed that I couldn't connect to the 5G signal from the router. Network analyzer showing I have a strong signal, and I have the the settings of the router identical to the 68U (which continues to work fine). Just to be sure, I gave 5G a unique SSSID, and my devices see the SSID, but none of them will connect to it - just get "connecting" until they time out - can't get an IP address. Also, no issues on the 2.4GHz network. So 5GHz is broadcasting a signal - devices attempt to connect, but never get an IP address. (Also - smart connect is turned off).

Anything showing up in syslog to throw light on it?

(And because you’re a regular, I’m presuming yiu did all the right things when setting up: factory reset after flashing with Merlin’s firmware followed by manual and minimal configuration. No special characters in the SSID etc)

Nothing interesting in the syslng. Indeed, nothing during attempted connection timeframe. I initially configured with stock. Just long enough to see that it seemed to work. Though possibly what I was connecting to was the old router (was using the same SSID at the time) which was setup as an AP. Then did a system reset. After reset, uploaded Merlin and did configuration. SSID was set to HomeNetB - no special characters. Set channel to auto and bandwidth to 20/40/80 (also tried it with just 20) and no luck.

You need to do a full reset to factory defaults (including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox) after you first flash the firmware you want to use. :)

Nothing interesting in the syslng. Indeed, nothing during attempted connection timeframe. I initially configured with stock. Just long enough to see that it seemed to work. Though possibly what I was connecting to was the old router (was using the same SSID at the time) which was setup as an AP. Then did a system reset. After reset, uploaded Merlin and did configuration. SSID was set to HomeNetB - no special characters. Set channel to auto and bandwidth to 20/40/80 (also tried it with just 20) and no luck.

Quick & nasty workaround: set channel to 36, & bandwidth to 80. See if that wakes things up.
As advised though, a full reset after flashing new firmware is the go.

Ok - did a system reset - including Initialize all settings. After reset, just did the very basics - assigned SSID to 2.4. and 5GHz networks. Even left the LAN IP at 192.168.50.1 (curious initial value), and tried to connect with the 5GHz network. Same as before - it is broadcasting on 5GHz, but devices fail to connect - fail to get an IP address. As before, 2.4 GHz is working fine.

Last edited:
I
Ok - did a system reset - including Initialize all settings. After reset, just did the very basics - assigned SSID to 2.4. and 5GHz networks. Even left the LAN IP at 192.168.50.1 (curious initial value), and tried to connect with the 5GHz network. Same as before - it is broadcasting on 5GHz, but devices fail to connect - fail to get an IP address. As before, 2.4 GHz is working fine.

I had the same issue before as well. Works fine when I switched to channel 36 for 5 Ghz.
Also, if you have purchased your router online, check if the region is correctly set in Wireless/Professional. As I understand it, different regions allow different channels.

If you are using android devices make sure you have turned off the setting that allow for devices to automatically jump between wifi and mobile data for better connection. I do not think it always works properly. My Samsung Galaxy Tab S loved to leave 5 Ghz when this was turned on ;).

Channel 36 doesn't resolve any issues. Tried that. Did buy the router online, and it has the standard US channels: 36-48 and 149-165. Have the problem with my S8, but also with my Tablet (wi-fi only) and laptop (wi-fi only). Yes, that setting for the Galaxy to automatically move back and forth from cellular to wi-fin is interesting, but not a factor here. Devices are just not connecting.

Channel 36 doesn't resolve any issues. Tried that. Did buy the router online, and it has the standard US channels: 36-48 and 149-165. Have the problem with my S8, but also with my Tablet (wi-fi only) and laptop (wi-fi only). Yes, that setting for the Galaxy to automatically move back and forth from cellular to wi-fin is interesting, but not a factor here. Devices are just not connecting.

Aha. You could try turning 5 Ghz radar off and then on again. However, @L&LD advice seems like the best to follow.

OK - did turn 5GHz radio off; left it off for a while and then turned it back on. No help. Tried everything suggested now, and nothing is working. I'm out of ideas - guess it's time to see how the exchange policy is working with the vendor.

And, just for the sake of completeness, I reinstalled stock firmware, and still have the issue. Assuming this will be a return/exchange, probably best to return it the way I got it in any case.

Some more interesting tidbits:

While I can not connect - basically device fails to get an IP address - if I enter a bad password, I properly get a message that password is incorrect.

If I turn off security - open connection - things work fine.

Last edited:
So it’s only on WPA2 Personal that this problem occurs. What if the password is a single alphanumeric on WPA2? And if that’s ok, at what point does it go wrong?

And things get weirder. Now seeing a message: "* Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server. " Don't know if this is connected to my connection issue or not. I see the message at the top of the Wireless / Professional Page and on the Administration / System Page. The page is setup with NTP pointing to pool.ntp.org. Ping and DNS Query were both unchecked. I checked both and applied the changes. Message is still there. And to add to the confusion, on the opening Network Map page, it shows I am disconnected from the Internet - though I can still access the internet from my PC and my Smart TV (wired connection) is still getting a valid signal. This is a defective unit.

I've done that twice now - with the same results. First time was just prior to installing Merlin & 2nd time was just prior to reistalling stock.

Does anything change if you unplug power from the old AC68U? Was that reset as well?

And things get weirder. Now seeing a message: "* Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server. " Don't know if this is connected to my connection issue or not. I see the message at the top of the Wireless / Professional Page and on the Administration / System Page. The page is setup with NTP pointing to pool.ntp.org. Ping and DNS Query were both unchecked. I checked both and applied the changes. Message is still there. And to add to the confusion, on the opening Network Map page, it shows I am disconnected from the Internet - though I can still access the internet from my PC and my Smart TV (wired connection) is still getting a valid signal. This is a defective unit.

In my case, I need to have both Ping, & DNS Query turned on, or NTP never ‘wakes up’.
I’ve also found having an IP address set as ntp server speeds things up.
Are you using any strange characters in your SSID, or password? Alpha-numeric please! ;)
I think also there is a length limit, 16 characters, if I remember rightly.
YMMV! Lots of variables to consider.

Last edited: