What's new

5GHz Site Survey sometimes doesn't work on EU routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
As the title says, this is something that has bugged me for a couple of years now. So I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if "it's just me".;)

As far as I can tell this problem doesn't effect US routers, so I'm particularly interested in responses from fellow EU owners.

The problem: If you have your 5GHz band operational and currently using one of the DFS channels (52 - 140) doing a Wireless Site Survey will fail to show any 5GHz results. Reconfiguring the 5GHz radio to use a non-DFS channel (36 - 48) and rerunning the Site Survey will now show nearby 5GHz access points (irrespective of the channel they are operating on).

The cause: When the 5GHz radio is configured for DFS the scan is rejected.
Code:
# wl -i eth2 country
DE (EU/13) GERMANY
# wl -i eth2 chanspec
100/80 (0xe06a)
# wl -i eth2 scan -t passive
wl: Scan Rejected
# wl -i eth2 scan -t active
wl: Scan Rejected

Code:
# wl -i eth2 chanspec
36/80 (0xe02a)
# wl -i eth2 scan -t passive
# wl -i eth2 scanresults | grep ^SSID
SSID: "TP-LINK_5DD3_5G"
SSID: "VM5692010"
# wl -i eth2 scan -t active
# wl -i eth2 scanresults | grep ^SSID
SSID: "TP-LINK_5DD3_5G"
SSID: "VM5692010"

Side note: I wonder whether some of the problems reported by people trying to setup a "Media Bridge" might be because of the client's inability to scan the 5GHz band (assuming the client device was currently using a DFS channel).

Comments welcome.

I’d noticed this. And manually configured my Media Bridge as it wouldn’t find the router.
It is mildly annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback @JDB. It's nice to know I'm not imagining it :D.

I've never tried setting up a Media Bridge so didn't know whether there was a "manual" option. I'd speculate that out-of-the-box or after a factory reset the 5GHz channel would default to a non-DFS one, in which case people probably wouldn't even be aware of this. Just guessing.

My AC88U acting as a bridge connected as a client to 5Ghz ch100 does scan OK. It seems the issue is only when the wireless driver is in AP mode and a DFS ch (which it would be when you run through the Media Bridge setup wizard whilst in Router mode).

The problem: If you have your 5GHz band operational and currently using one of the DFS channels (52 - 140) doing a Wireless Site Survey will fail to show any 5GHz results. Reconfiguring the 5GHz radio to use a non-DFS channel (36 - 48) and rerunning the Site Survey will now show nearby 5GHz access points (irrespective of the channel they are operating on).

The cause: When the 5GHz radio is configured for DFS the scan is rejected

That is correct behavior for DFS channels - since many site survey tools use Probe Request messages at the 802.11 layer, this requires the radio to transmit on the channel - with DFS, there is a period of time needed for the radio to detect incumbent radars in the area prior to transmitting on the channel...

Surely passive scan should still work on DFS channels though?