What's new

5GHz SSID on AiMesh node is not accesible

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarlockP4

Regular Contributor
Hi all,
I have an RT-AC5300 as main router and a RT-AC68U that I would like to use as AiMesh Node.
Both routers has the last available firmware that appear to be the same version.
I entered in the admin page of RT-AC5300 and added AiMesh Node (rt-ac68u) all is working it seems but I noted one thing, ac-68u is replicating the 2,4ghz ssid where I'm able to connect and the 5ghz ssid where I cannot connect as it request me the password, if I put the wifi passoword it returns the error password not correct, I noted the ac68u is linked to ac5300 using 5ghz, so does aimesh reserve one of the ssid for connection and not allow to be used? is it normal that I cannot connect to the 5ghz ssid on the node?
Thanks for any help or suggestion you can provide me

Tri-band routers do use one of the 5Ghz as dedicated backhaul - even if using wired mode! It’s very stupid!

They have extended it to dual band nodes too, see the table on this page https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039646/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I have an RT-AC5300 as main router and a RT-AC68U that I would like to use as AiMesh Node.
Both routers has the last available firmware that appear to be the same version.
I entered in the admin page of RT-AC5300 and added AiMesh Node (rt-ac68u) all is working it seems but I noted one thing, ac-68u is replicating the 2,4ghz ssid where I'm able to connect and the 5ghz ssid where I cannot connect as it request me the password, if I put the wifi passoword it returns the error password not correct, I noted the ac68u is linked to ac5300 using 5ghz, so does aimesh reserve one of the ssid for connection and not allow to be used? is it normal that I cannot connect to the 5ghz ssid on the node?
Thanks for any help or suggestion you can provide me
similar situation in my mesh system, but in my system after some times i loos 2,4GHz bands on my node, i see this band in network analyzer, but i cant connect, only 5GHz band is avaible. When 2,4Ghz is not avaible in wireles log i see that my node is connected to main router by 5GHz only, after node power cycle 2,4GHz start work and in wireless log i see that node is connected to main router using both bands.

Hi all,

thanks for your replies, but sorry to say I still cannot understand if my problem is normal or there is a way to fix it

Regards

Hi all,

thanks for your replies, but sorry to say I still cannot understand if my problem is normal or there is a way to fix it

Regards

Your problem is not normal and there are a number of us here cursing Asus decision! But it's working as intended, unfortunately :(
I had some discussions with Asus on the topic, but they didn't strongly commit they will revert this behavior (2nd 5GHz radio used to be available). I'm hopping they will bring it back in the next major release. But there's no commitment and no ETA.

This is an annoying status and if you still have the option to return the router: return it and buy a 2-band one. Their choice was simply bad if not stupid! I can understand such decision for users having wireless backhaul and both router and node a 3 band radio! That would be a significant benefit! But killing in the process the second radio for users with wired backhaul...that's simply stupid! And that for months by now!

Your problem is not normal and there are a number of us here cursing Asus decision! But it's working as intended, unfortunately :(
I had some discussions with Asus on the topic, but they didn't strongly commit they will revert this behavior (2nd 5GHz radio used to be available). I'm hopping they will bring it back in the next major release. But there's no commitment and no ETA.

This is an annoying status and if you still have the option to return the router: return it and buy a 2-band one. Their choice was simply bad if not stupid! I can understand such decision for users having wireless backhaul and both router and node a 3 band radio! That would be a significant benefit! But killing in the process the second radio for users with wired backhaul...that's simply stupid! And that for months by now!

The 2 routers got no wired connection

So basically the 5Ghz SSID on AiMesh Node is reserved no matter if AC5300 is generating 2 different 5GHz SSID and both are available for connection, the replicated 5GHZ SSID on AC68U AiMesh node is reserved, and no sense to remove the node and add it one more time as the result will be the same, 5GHz SSID on AiMesh Node AC68U reserved and used as gateway for connection with AC5300, 2,4GHz SSID on AiMesh Node, available for connection. if I link the AiMesh node with wire, will 5GHz available for connection?

So probably it's better to configure AC68U as repeater instead of AiMesh Node, so I can have 2 SSID available

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just noted 2 things:

1) on AC5300 homepage, a message that is saying that 5GHz_2 is used as backhaul, and it's named "Aiupete"
2) on AC68U AiMesh node, the 5GHZ SSID broadcasted is 5GHz_1 namded "Moeme"
3) on the AC5300 homepage I saw a client connect on 5GHz SSID of AiMesh node, so I cannot force manually the connection to this 5GHz SSID, but it is able to address the clients when needed

Does all is fine now? What do you think guys?

The 2 routers got no wired connection

So basically the 5Ghz SSID on AiMesh Node is reserved no matter if AC5300 is generating 2 different 5GHz SSID and both are available for connection, the replicated 5GHZ SSID on AC68U AiMesh node is reserved, and no sense to remove the node and add it one more time as the result will be the same, 5GHz SSID on AiMesh Node AC68U reserved and used as gateway for connection with AC5300, 2,4GHz SSID on AiMesh Node, available for connection. if I link the AiMesh node with wire, will 5GHz available for connection?

So probably it's better to configure AC68U as repeater instead of AiMesh Node, so I can have 2 SSID available
Im thinking of doing it. It will lose the benefits of the imesh system although, but it has no sense having a wired connection to use only the G band. I will test set it as a AP or a repeater and see what is worse, lose speed from the N band as an imesh system or that way

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!