What's new

5ghz to 2.4ghz casting issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oricus

Occasional Visitor
I have a strange issue since upgrading my ax11000 to Merlin 386.7_2 . I have a number of 2.4ghz devices (chrome cast, mirror) . With the official bios I was running with smart connect off and my 2.4 band ssid with just a -24 after (so different ssid for 2.4 and 5ghz) . I could cast from my laptop on 5ghz to my chrome cast and my wife could run her mirror app on her phone (also on 5ghz) to her mirror (on 2.4ghz) . After installing Merlin I can no longer do this. I have to have my laptop on 2.4ghz or it can't see the chromecast. My wife has to switch her phone to 2.4 as well to use her mirror. But when I enable smartconnect and have the SSID the same even though my laptop and her phone are connecting at 5ghz they can talk to the 2.4ghz connected devices fine. It is making no sense to me.

Am I missing something or going crazy?

I have a strange issue since upgrading my ax11000 to Merlin 386.7_2 . I have a number of 2.4ghz devices (chrome cast, mirror) . With the official bios I was running with smart connect off and my 2.4 band ssid with just a -24 after (so different ssid for 2.4 and 5ghz) . I could cast from my laptop on 5ghz to my chrome cast and my wife could run her mirror app on her phone (also on 5ghz) to her mirror (on 2.4ghz) . After installing Merlin I can no longer do this. I have to have my laptop on 2.4ghz or it can't see the chromecast. My wife has to switch her phone to 2.4 as well to use her mirror. But when I enable smartconnect and have the SSID the same even though my laptop and her phone are connecting at 5ghz they can talk to the 2.4ghz connected devices fine. It is making no sense to me.

Am I missing something or going crazy?

Disabled airtime fairness?

Could you please make sure to uncheck this option under Wireless->General->Control Channel: "Auto select channel including DFS channels"?

Disabled airtime fairness?
Airtime fairness is disabled. (I have never turned it on) I am running stock settings so not sure what is going on. I am trying to avoid another factory reset (it's a pain pairing the zenwifi's sometimes).

Airtime fairness is disabled. (I have never turned it on) I am running stock settings so not sure what is going on. I am trying to avoid another factory reset (it's a pain pairing the zenwifi's sometimes).
can you post a screenshot of your wireless tab and wireless professional tab?

Take a look at your Chromecast settings - normally it's WiFi Direct from the Chromecast to the device sending the "cast".