What's new

5GHz wifi connection problem- AC86U on 384_10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

Hi,
I just flashed 384_10 (factory reset done as well) on a friends AC86U and although 5GHz radio is broadcasting fine, NO DEVICE can connect to 5GHz wifi. I get a exclamation mark (!) in the wifi icon on my macbook and a "failed to obtain IP address" error message on android devices when attempting to connect.

The router is brand new, 2GHz works fine as do all other router functions as far as I can determine, except 5GHz wifi connectivity. I'm not convinced yet, that the router is defective, and/or affected by flashing Merlin as everything else is okay.

Cannot find much in these forums, so if anyone can suggest some things I can try to resolve this it is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
bUk

Hi,
I just flashed 384_10 (factory reset done as well) on a friends AC86U and although 5GHz radio is broadcasting fine, NO DEVICE can connect to 5GHz wifi. I get a exclamation mark (!) in the wifi icon on my macbook and a "failed to obtain IP address" error message on android devices when attempting to connect.

The router is brand new, 2GHz works fine as do all other router functions as far as I can determine, except 5GHz wifi connectivity. I'm not convinced yet, that the router is defective, and/or affected by flashing Merlin as everything else is okay.

Cannot find much in these forums, so if anyone can suggest some things I can try to resolve this it is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
bUk

There was a post about this a few weeks ago (a bit hard to find though). The solution there was unfortunately to replace the RT-AC86U.
Please read through the posts and see if any of the suggested solutions will work for you before replacing your router. Good luck.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5ghz-not-working.57016/

Any reason you flashed such an old firmware today? Was the reset done before or after flashing the desired firmware? Was a saved config file used afterward?

Any reason you flashed such an old firmware today? Was the reset done before or after flashing the desired firmware? Was a saved config file used afterward?
I had some glaring performance issues primarly with OpenVPN on my AC86U after flashing newer Merlin F/W so i wanted to avoid this on my friends router and go it slow with the firmwares, if you follow me? I am still using 384_5 at the moment as the last time I upgraded I had the performance issues with OpenVPN performance.

Reset done after the flash and no config file used.

Last edited:
I had some glaring performance issues primarly with OpenVPN on my AC86U after flashing newer Merlin F/W so i wanted to avoid this on my friends router and go it slow with the firmwares, if you follow me? I am still using 384_5 at the moment as the last time I upgraded I had the performance issues with OpenVPN performance.

Reset done after the flash and no config file used.

I've never heard of VPN performance issues after flashing new firmware? Hmm. :)

What I do know is that everything that is listed in the changelog is not all that is fixed. Many of the closed source blobs contain improvements that go undocumented, but that is apparent in use.

What I would suggest is to test 384.12 Beta 2 (or, wait for 384.12 final, if you can wait and still be within the return period) and then after a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config, please see my signature below for details) see how the router behaves then.

To more fully test if this is a hardware issue please see the Nuclear Reset link via the link in my signature below.

If following all the suggestions in the links above in the order presented doesn't give you a working router, then it is indeed time to return or exchange it. :)

I've never heard of VPN performance issues after flashing new firmware? Hmm. :)

What I do know is that everything that is listed in the changelog is not all that is fixed. Many of the closed source blobs contain improvements that go undocumented, but that is apparent in use.

What I would suggest is to test 384.12 Beta 2 (or, wait for 384.12 final, if you can wait and still be within the return period) and then after a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config, please see my signature below for details) see how the router behaves then.

To more fully test if this is a hardware issue please see the Nuclear Reset link via the link in my signature below.

If following all the suggestions in the links above in the order presented doesn't give you a working router, then it is indeed time to return or exchange it. :)
Sorry, cannot find the link to this "nuclear reset"?