What's new

66U_B1 firmware updated, now can't be added as AIMesh Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Locoblade

Occasional Visitor
I updated my RT-AC66U_B1 to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_40558 the other day and since then I've been unable to connect it back up to my RT-AC86U (on latest 3.0.0.4.386_40451 firmware) to act as an AIMesh Node. I've tried resetting it then connecting my laptop via ethernet cable to go through the wizard to set it up as a node, it goes through that OK to the point of opening up the admin console of the 86U to complete setup but the 86U never sees it. I've tried wired and wireless, it has a DHCP IP from the 86U and I can connect to the admin console via the 86U's network when connected that way, but it just can't see it as a usable node. Any ideas?

I updated my RT-AC66U_B1 to firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_40558 the other day and since then I've been unable to connect it back up to my RT-AC86U (on latest 3.0.0.4.386_40451 firmware) to act as an AIMesh Node. I've tried resetting it then connecting my laptop via ethernet cable to go through the wizard to set it up as a node, it goes through that OK to the point of opening up the admin console of the 86U to complete setup but the 86U never sees it. I've tried wired and wireless, it has a DHCP IP from the 86U and I can connect to the admin console via the 86U's network when connected that way, but it just can't see it as a usable node. Any ideas?

Is the AC66U_B1 remote node in a factory default reset state when you Search for it to add it as a node from the AC86U's webUI? What error do you get when the 86U Search and Add node attempt fails?

Is Wireless\WPS enabled on the AC86U?

OE

Yep I've done a reset on the B1 before searching for it. On the 86U I do the search from the Network Map - Aimesh section, it just searches for a while then times out saying "Unable to find any AIMesh Nodes nearby" then givnig instructions on what to do with the node which repeats what I've already been doing, node powered up, reset, with latest firmware, positioned near the main router etc.

WPS is enabled on the 86U yes

Yep I've done a reset on the B1 before searching for it. On the 86U I do the search from the Network Map - Aimesh section, it just searches for a while then times out saying "Unable to find any AIMesh Nodes nearby" then givnig instructions on what to do with the node which repeats what I've already been doing, node powered up, reset, with latest firmware, positioned near the main router etc.

WPS is enabled on the 86U yes

Bummer.

How about the 86U... was its firmware reset before configuration... a clean install?

OE

I've not reset the 86U yet, I really didn't want to do that as there's a lot of config on there but I guess I could save the settings then reset to see if it detects with a clean install or not then take it from there. WHat about flashing the 66U back down to the previous firmware, would that be worth a go?

I've not reset the 86U yet, I really didn't want to do that as there's a lot of config on there but I guess I could save the settings then reset to see if it detects with a clean install or not then take it from there. WHat about flashing the 66U back down to the previous firmware, would that be worth a go?

The 86U 68U/66U_B1 mesh is mainstream... should work.

AiMesh 2.0 is arriving and what you want. Downgrading is not a solution, imo. And if you did downgrade, you should probably match 384 across both nodes, which would want its own reset and config from scratch, imo.

The 86U is due for a webUI Restore reset w/initialize and config from scratch. Given the current glitch, it's the first thing to try... imo.

It helps to keep router configuration to a minimum during this AiMesh business.

OE

Cheers, when I say lots of config I mean things like VPN server setup, guest network and various DHCP reservations for particular devices on my network, nothing that should affect AiMesh etc. I've just tried a flash down to the last firmware on the 66 B1 and that made no difference so I'll try a reset on the 86 tomorrow, not something I want to be starting at nearly midnight.

I had some issues setting up an AC66U_B1 as a node to AC86U. Succeeded after I connected the two with a cable (both on the 386 code base). Then I discovered that I had disabled the WPS on the AC86U. Turned the WPS back on and was able to connect the node over WIFI.
Oh, I had done a dirty upgrade on the AC86U to the Asus firmware. Also succeeded after doing a dirty upgrade from Merlin 384.19 to 386.1 alpha 2 on the AC86U.

I have the same issue wit DSL-AC68U on recent 3.0.0.4.386_39648-g788207a as Master and RT-AC68U on recent 3.0.0.4.386_40558-gc48f410 as Node.

It seems that I should stay on the B2-RC7 firmware on my 2 x AC86U and AC66U B1 until the Aimesh set-up is stable with the official firmware.

Don't know where to go with this now, I've factory reset the 86U and 66U, set the 86U up as the router with no other config, straight into AiMesh setup but it still can't see the 66U either on WiFi or Ethernet. That's running both the latest firmware and also the previous firmwares on both

Last edited:
Don't know where to go with this now, I've factory reset the 86U and 66U, set the 86U up as the router with no other config, straight into AiMesh setup but it still can't see the 66U either on WiFi or Ethernet. That's running both the latest firmware and also the previous firmwares on both

1) This might fix it:

2) This might work but might require the above fix:

3) This might work and may already include the above fix:

I would investigate 1) first.

I found these options but I did not study them.

OE

Many thanks I'll have a look through all that at the weekend, for now the 66U is running as an AP just to get the house fully back online

1) This might fix it:

Many thanks again OE, I followed the links via this thread to run the two SSH commands setting ATEMode to 0 (confirmed using a show command that mine was indeed set to 1), did a factory reset and its now being picked up as an AiMesh node via both wireless and ethernet backhaul running the AiMesh 2 firmware (3.0.0.4.386_40451 on the AC86 and 3.0.0.4.386_40558 on the AC66 B1)! Result :)

It seems that I should stay on the B2-RC7 firmware on my 2 x AC86U and AC66U B1 until the Aimesh set-up is stable with the official firmware.

Maybe your AC66U B1 suffers the same issue solved above.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!