What's new

‎‎‎‎‎

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you think that RT-AX68U can reach 200mbps OpenVPN

AX68U has the same ARMv8 CPU cores as AC86U, AX88U, AX86U with AES support, but since 386 firmware I could never test >170Mbps on OpenVPN. I have a similar AC86U for testing purposes and with 384 firmware it was going as high as 240Mbps. The VPN speed also depends on servers you connect to. Some servers may not provide high speeds, no matter what hardware you have on your end. I believe AX68U is the best option for your budget. It's cheaper, Wi-Fi 6 and has Asuswrt-Merlin support. For higher OpenVPN speeds you have to invest in x86 hardware router/firewall.

if the router is always on OpenVPN the Philips hue (with the bridge) will work ?

Are you planning to use a public VPN provider? There is no much security when you control one side of the tunnel only. With your router always connected to VPN your Philips lights will be the least problem. You'll encounter other problems in first few days of Internet use. Public VPN exit nodes are known - you'll be denied services and you'll be asked to authenticate yourself often. This idea of "security" through public VPN providers comes quite often here on SMB forums and goes away as soon as family members start to complain. Make sure you really need/want this VPN on the router.

I can configure all of that no ?

You can, but the devices using VPN will have slower connection with increased latency, plus the common public VPN related issues. Also, all VPN traffic will bypass your router's AiProtection and you may have to use VPN provided DNS servers with no phishing/malware filtering. Watching TV from different regions is fine, but the VPN security/privacy idea may actually make things worse. Changing VPN servers you want to connect to will require logging into router's GUI and changing VPN Client configuration. Not very convenient. Get the router and see what works for you.

Hello Tech9.
Mjamar spreaded your words on a french forum where people were discussing xiaomi routers.
The custom firmware and open VPN capabilities are a very good news.
I was therefore able to get the AX68 at a good price.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!