What's new

802.11ai captured - Qualcomm Fastconnect 6200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
This is kind of interesting - found this testing a new device on it's probe request - host AP is a Nokia IPQ based device

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 7.41.43 PM.png

More info here on the MBO aspects...

Warning - PDF links below...

FastConnect 6200 is essentially WiFi 5.5 - it is 802.11ac Wave 2 officially, but it has a lot of 11ax inside (channel sounding, etc) - interesting chipset to work with...

Anyways - with current WiFi6 chipsets, one does tend to find "interesting" capabilities advertised in both Beacons and Probe Request/Response Frames... esp now that we have not just 6e capability, but also the extended 5GHz UNII-4 channels that are 11ac allowed in certain countries...

Mediatek on the AP side tends to be the odd one - even for standalone AP's on the 11ax - seems like their SDK throws everything including the kitchen sink into the HE stanzas...

@thiggins - this was captured on a One Plus Nord n20 5G handset on the Probe Request..

The association request/response handshakes were a lot more sane, but still a cool find...

Last edited:
This is kind of interesting - found this testing a new device on it's probe request - host AP is a Nokia IPQ based device

View attachment 50356

More info here on the MBO aspects...

Warning - PDF links below...

FastConnect 6200 is essentially WiFi 5.5 - it is 802.11ac Wave 2 officially, but it has a lot of 11ax inside (channel sounding, etc) - interesting chipset to work with...

Anyways - with current WiFi6 chipsets, one does tend to find "interesting" capabilities advertised in both Beacons and Probe Request/Response Frames... esp now that we have not just 6e capability, but also the extended 5GHz UNII-4 channels that are 11ac allowed in certain countries...

Mediatek on the AP side tends to be the odd one - even for standalone AP's on the 11ax - seems like their SDK throws everything including the kitchen sink into the HE stanzas...

@thiggins - this was captured on a One Plus Nord n20 5G handset on the Probe Request..

The association request/response handshakes were a lot more sane, but still a cool find...

Seen anything in the wild supporting (and using) MLO yet? I think that's really the only new technology that actually interests me.

Seen anything in the wild supporting (and using) MLO yet? I think that's really the only new technology that actually interests me.

Haven't seen anything that supports WiFi 7 Multi Link Operation - it's still fairly early for equipment that support 11be.

Should be noted - about half of the AP's in my neighborhood are 11ax/WiFi6 these days, and most of them are carrier provided from Cox, ATT Fiber, or TMobile Home Internet...

Intel AX411 has double connect which is similar: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6e-ax411-product-brief.html

On Microsoft* Windows 11* systems, provides the capability of connecting to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (or 6GHz) networks simultaneously. Combined with Intel® Killer™ or Intel® Connectivity Performance Suite software, Wi-Fi traffic can be routed over either Wi-Fi link, improving latency and throughput for critical applications.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!