What's new

802.11b/g problems with latest firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Volfi

Regular Contributor
I keep my Asus AC88U and AC86U always updated to latest official firmware. Last 3 months or so I experience problems when connecting legacy 2.4GHz 802.11b/g devices (Fitbit and Garmin watches and scales; even most "modern" ones come with this obsolete protocol only) to the network.

2.4GHz N devices work fine.

These devices will see the network, connect to it, get IP address, but data transfer will (usually, but not always) fail.

I tried dumbing down the network, setting different parameters under Wireless / Professional, trying to force Google DNS instead of default gateway address, keeping only legacy 2.4GHz on (no N), etc., but problems always prevail.

Do you experience this as well?

I ended up using simple old D-Link box for 2.4GHz legacy network, connected via Ethernet to my cable modem, and that works well.

I was not able to make Asus working reliably.

Last edited:
I ended up using simple old D-Link box for 2.4GHz legacy network, connected via Ethernet to my cable modem, and that works well.
Personally, I have no issues with any legacy devices, but your workaround would generally be something I would suggest doing as a primary function, not a fallback :)

Keeping the traffic from these devices isolated from your main network is prudent for many reasons, but you then have perhaps an unnecessary complication on your infrastructure.
setting different parameters under Wireless / Professional, trying to force Google DNS instead of default gateway address, keeping only legacy 2.4GHz on (no N), etc., but problems always prevail.
Can you elaborate on "different parameters"? From what you wrote it doesn't sound like anything DNS related. Did you try different channels? Anything in the logs? Do the transfers time out?
updated to latest official firmware.
As firmware versions change, things get fixed, things get broken, posts sit for months or years, it is preferable to actually state the version. It really isn't any longer to type than what you wrote :) but makes it clearer for those trying to help now, or anyone reading in the future rather than trying to guess what "current" is/was at the time of your posting.

Today I tried flashing Merlin FW (384.14_beta1) and do factory reset.

garmin1.PNG

garmin2.PNG

Still no luck.
This is Garmin watch.
It will connect to Wifi, but not transfer any data.

2.4GHz is set to "Auto", channel 1 (tried other channels as well), 20MHz, WPA2/AES is used.
"Professional" tab left at default settings.

This is the log:
Code:
Nov 17 10:18:42 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth1: Disassoc F0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Nov 17 10:18:42 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth1: Auth F0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Nov 17 10:18:42 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth1: Assoc F0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
Nov 17 10:18:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[13149]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) f0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx
Nov 17 10:18:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[13149]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.21 f0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx
Nov 17 10:18:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[13149]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.21 f0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx
Nov 17 10:18:42 dnsmasq-dhcp[13149]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.21 f0:99:xx:xx:xx:xx WILC

Last edited:
try with open network only for testing and TKIP too with fix channel (anyone 1-11), airtime fairness and beamforming off.

As Grisu mentioned, try with airtime fairness and at least universal beamforming disabled for the 2.4Ghz band.

Another idea:
Do you have both of your Asus routers operate the same wifi network (Ai mesh or AP mode) and wifi roaming assistant enabled?
In this case put affected devices onto the roaming blacklist and let them choose the better signal.

BR

Thank your for suggestions.

Both Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming are disabled.
I do have 2 routers, but second one has only 5GHz band enabled (and is runnig in repeater mode), so no roaming assistant problems, and I have also differrent SSIDs for 2.4 vs 5GHz.

Garmin and Fitbit:
- can connect to 802.11b/g and 802.11n network, using WPA2/AES
- can get IP address via DHCP
- but cannot transfer anything
- all other /20+/ devices can, even on 2.4GHz band (e.g. Netatmo products)
- this started about 3 months ago, and continues with latest FW, including Merlin one
- old D-Link box works well for both Garmin and Fitbit (and is connected to cable modem directly, same as Asus router)

Last edited:
did it start after firmware update or just one day to the other?
You could try old firmware to clear things.

Last edited:
I gave up on this bug.
Have spent 3 hours today doing factory resets, upgrades, re-configurations, and myriads of tries, with no luck.
Plugged D-Link device back in and will forget about it.

I isolated problem down to AC88U.
As a last try I swapped routers, made AC86U main one, and AC88U a repeater.
Both Garmin & Fitbit watches now connect.
AC86U works well!
Both have 384.14_beta1 Merlin firmware.

Last edited:
but cannot transfer anything
Can you be more specific? I'm guessing that there is some sort of failure to upload information to the mothership (Garmin etc). Sounds more like a default gateway configuration issue rather than anything to do with the actual wireless connectivity. Any logging or other information available?

There's no additional log, so no, cannot be more specific. :(

Anyway, both default or modified DHCP settings work fine on AC86U, but older 2.4GHz devices (Garmin, Fitbit) are not transfering data on AC88U (while 20+ other devices on 5GHz band and Netatmo products and HP printers on 2.4GHz work fine on same router).

Have no idea why.

Official firmware, Merlin firmware, same firmware version on both routers.

I switched to AC86U as a main router and will not touch it :)