What's new

802.1x Radius Authentication option has gone missing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-KS-Silence[AU]

Occasional Visitor
Im running 3.0.0.4.374.36_beta1 right now but i was running .35 beforehand i believe and both versions are missing 802.1x RADIUS Authentication ability for Both wireless bands, in even earlier versions it was present and working (for only 1 band at a time because of incorrect implementation in firmware). The settings tab for radius is still present but the ability to enable it has vanished?

Any ideas why, and how to get it back short of Merlin needing to create another build with it fixed?

Also when it is re-implemented Merlin, There is a very important error.....
All the current firmwares have separate radius 802.1x settings for each band which is a BIG NO NO, you can ONLY have ONE Radius Client Per IP / DEVICE, and that ONE client needs to service BOTH bands to be properly useful.

radius 802.1x missing.jpg

- Alex R.

-KS-Silence[AU];98555 said:
Im running 3.0.0.4.374.36_beta1 right now but i was running .35 beforehand i believe and both versions are missing 802.1x RADIUS Authentication ability for Both wireless bands, in even earlier versions it was present and working (for only 1 band at a time because of incorrect implementation in firmware). The settings tab for radius is still present but the ability to enable it has vanished?

Any ideas why, and how to get it back short of Merlin needing to create another build with it fixed?

Could have been broken in a recent Asus release, and since almost nobody is using it it went unnoticed until now. I will have to see if I can track down the source.

-KS-Silence[AU];98555 said:
Also when it is re-implemented Merlin, There is a very important error.....
All the current firmwares have separate radius 802.1x settings for each band which is a BIG NO NO, you can ONLY have ONE Radius Client Per IP / DEVICE, and that ONE client needs to service BOTH bands to be properly useful.

Radius is something a bit outside of my expertise, so it will be up to Asus to fix this one.

Could have been broken in a recent Asus release, and since almost nobody is using it it went unnoticed until now. I will have to see if I can track down the source.

Radius is something a bit outside of my expertise, so it will be up to Asus to fix this one.

I See, but unless you tell them they have got their radius implemented incorrectly they won't know any better to fix that issue.

Mind you how hard would it be to get both wireless bands to just use the ONE instance of radius client?
The client is already there, as far as my mind can work out you just need configure both bands to use a single radius instance instead of one for each radio band?

I'm surprised that the Genius's at Asus who designed such a great device and did a very good on its firmware where others don't, could make such a simple mistake implementation wise on something that is standard on almost all wireless routers these days.

all they need to do to see the problem is set up a radius server such as NPS on Windows server then try and get both bands to use Radius at the same time, they will very quickly find that 1 band works just fine but trying to use both at once (with the separate client for each) will result in one of the bands failing to authenticate users because there is already a radius client connected from the device, took me a little while to figure that out when trying to get it working initially....

When it does work its great atleast on one band.

Thanks for the quick insight. At this rate even if i can just get one band to work with radius, thats better than no radius.

- Alex.