What's new

A bit off-topic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I know there are lots of experts on this forum, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem related to my internet connection. The problem is that on both my own and my daughter's Samsung Galaxy A3 phones, a website www.mangadex.org won't load, but displays "This site can't provide a secure connection. Mangdex.org sent an invalid response. ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR" However, on another Android device (Huawei), the website loads OK, as it does on my laptop (I've not tried my daughter's laptop, but will do so early tomorrow when she's not using it). I've tried all the things I can think of, including disabling and then uninstalling Skynet and Diversion, deleting/generating new Pixelserv certificates, plus clearing the brower's cache, restarting the phone, etc, but nothing has worked. Now here's the really interesting thing - if I disconnect from the RT-AX88U Wi-Fi, I can then access the web site (using my mobile phone data). So clearly, it has something to do with my internet setup, but I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Has anyone any suggestions?

Do you have AIProtection/Network Protection active on your router. If so, look for an entry www.mangadex.org in the Malicious Sites Blocking.

I do have AiProtection enabled, but I've just tried disabling it and repeating the test, but it's still failing. It's very puzzling.

I do have AiProtection enabled, but I've just tried disabling it and repeating the test, but it's still failing. It's very puzzling.
Do you use unbound?

No, I'm not even sure what it is, although I have seen it mentioned by others on this forum.

No issues here loading that page using Unbound, AiProtection, Diversion, and Skynet.

What DNS servers are you using on the WAN and LAN and DNSFilter pages? Is it your ISP's (Auto, on the WAN page)? Or, something else?

Btw, may I ask how old your daughter is (I don't really want to know...)? That site's content isn't suitable for younger people. :eek:

Additional information in Chrome states "The identity of this website has not been verified. Your connection to mangadex.org is not encrypted."

Try using another browser, too.

Easy answer to the age thingy - she's 16. I'll upload screenshots of the settings you asked for.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 04_04_2020 , 17_28_53.png
    Screenshot - 04_04_2020 , 17_28_53.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot - 04_04_2020 , 17_30_38.png
    Screenshot - 04_04_2020 , 17_30_38.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot - 04_04_2020 , 17_31_23.png
    Screenshot - 04_04_2020 , 17_31_23.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 181
So it seems like you're using OpenDNS filtering on your network. Are you using the Home service?

That could be causing your issues right there. Although I can't explain why sometimes you can connect and sometimes you can't.

I'm using OpenDNS Home and I don't have IPv6 enabled.

Just try to search that url in Trend Micro’s blocked website databases, and then I'm sure it's not blocked by trend micro. so I can almost sure that AiProtection did nothing with this issue.
Edit:
Trend Micro reported two situations on HTTP and HTTPS. HTTPS reports that is: Illegal / Questionable, this means that if you enable blocking adult content in the router, it may be blocked by AiProtection.

You can use this app to try dns lookup that url on that phone you can't access, and use this website to check the dns again online.

If you got it the same IP addresses, I believe this issue is not about your dns. You should try to access via only IP, if you can't access, that must be something to blocking you, that means that's difficult to find it and you may need to provide more information.

If the DNS is not the same, maybe is your OpenDNS Home blocking it.

Last edited:
Both Firefox 74.0.1 and the Chromium based Edge (I installed it manually) went there fine without complaints. On my router I do have DoT enabled with Cloudflare and DNSSEC enabled (site doesn't support it so has no impact really).

May be looking at the wrong end.....there are a lot of hits doing a search on 'Samsung Galaxy SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR'

Just try to search that url in Trend Micro’s blocked website databases, and then I'm sure it's not blocked by trend micro. so I can almost sure that AiProtection did nothing with this issue.
Edit:
Trend Micro reported two situations on HTTP and HTTPS. HTTPS reports that is: Illegal / Questionable, this means that if you enable blocking adult content in the router, it may be blocked by AiProtection.

You can use this app to try dns lookup that url on that phone you can't access, and use this website to check the dns again online.

If you got it the same IP addresses, I believe this issue is not about your dns. You should try to access via only IP, if you can't access, that must be something to blocking you, that means that's difficult to find it and you may need to provide more information.

If the DNS is not the same, maybe is your OpenDNS Home blocking it.
I've disabled Parental Controls and that seems to have solved the problem. The only thing I haven't tested is my daughter's mobile phone because she's still asleep at the moment, but I'm optimistic that everything will be OK now.

I'd just like to say a big "thank you" to everyone who has put forward ideas that have (hopefully) helped me to get this issue resolved.:)