What's new

A little love for Wifi 6e

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
I understand Wifi6E is going to go the way of DVD’s at the Redbox. Thing is I have 6E clients. New laptops, new iPHONE, 11th Generation Intel NUC, etc. I wanted to at least test it. Here were my options to at least test it.

1. New wifi 6E router. They are too expensive and my AX86U is such a great performer I can’t justify the dollars.

2. Add a Wifi6E AP. Cost is coming down so way cheaper than a new router. I picked up the Arris Wifi6E access point. Just a dumb access point.

I was impressed. No issues with range in my 1800 sq foot house. Fast and stable always over 2gbs. I have 2.5gb network which allows the maximum use of the higher speed wireless connections.

How does the connection to the 6E AP compare to the Asus AX86U with RMerlin’s firmware?

Can’t tell the difference between connecting to the Wifi 6E AP and the AX86. For me that means the AP does not earn its way. There’s no benefit noted for the various devices my family connects wireless through the AX86U. I’m not even close to having too many clients.

The Arris 6E was great. Easy setup. Clients connecting to it all did so very quickly. Not dissing it.

The market niche for this product is folks like me. Have a well established home network and want to easily add 6E. It does so very well. For me 6E just doesn’t offer enough performance increase to justify the expense.

6E just enables 6ghz. If you're in a congested area it's a benefit. If not then waiting for 7 would offer more benefits with the 320mhz bandwidth hitting maybe 3gbps per client.

If you need 6ghz though look at the Zyxel NWA220AX @$180 it's a contender, though to get 6 working you toggle off 5. Otherwise it's still a bit pricey to get into 6 at around $350 for the same single client bandwidth 5 offers topping out at 1.5gbps with an AX411 card and 160mhz.

If you need 6ghz though look at the Zyxel NWA220AX @$180 it's a contender, though to get 6 working you toggle off 5.
Yeah. I have (and like) a couple of the regular NWA220AX APs, but I'm befuddled why anyone would buy the NWA220AX-6E. Not offering 5GHz in your network seems like it'll be a disastrous choice for years to come, because there's so little client gear that speaks 6GHz yet, and falling back to 2.4GHz is a very sad alternative. So I couldn't see using a NWA220AX-6E without additional APs that provide 5GHz coverage over the same area, and that doesn't seem to make much sense. You'd also have to make sure that the APs all list each other in RNR reports, or you might not get any 6GHz connections to happen at all. That probably means you need a controller not just some independent APs. Of course Zyxel would be happy for you to buy into their "Nebula" cloud control offering...

befuddled
It keeps the price down. Not like the radios or controllers actually cost as much as others are charging for them. Arris makes a standalone 6ghz AP that you just add to your existing network but it's $180 too. Why get a single band when you can get two for the same cost. At least 2.4 offers distance or a backup.

An AP is still limited by the main router. 6E (AP) or not.

With your experiment, you've proven the RT-AX86U is still relevant in your environment.

I would be waiting for WiFi 7 to launch (and look for the sales that will ensue on actual WiFi 6E routers) in the later part of this year instead.

Unless Asus (with RMerlin support, of course) knocks one out of the park with a WiFi 7 solution that delivers on the promises WiFi 7 offers, with just 1,800 SqFt of coverage needed, your RT-AX86U is going to be relevant a while longer.

Am I reading correctly that you have 2Gbps ISP speeds? If so, the GT-AX6000 may offer the same 20% throughput increase in your environment as it does in mine. On sale, you may be able to get it for 'free', if you sell your RT-AX86U (after fully testing the GT-AX6000 in your use cases, of course).

I understand Wifi6E is going to go the way of DVD’s at the Redbox. Thing is I have 6E clients. New laptops, new iPHONE, 11th Generation Intel NUC, etc. I wanted to at least test it. Here were my options to at least test it.

6E isn't going away when WiFi7 arrives - WiFI7 will be backwards compatible with 6/6E, so it's not an issue...

Intel has sold millions of 6E cards, including perhaps a few thousand to forum members here...

"2Gbps ISP speeds?"

No. It hangs between 1.6 and 1.8. But faster than 1gb and have 2.5gb capable little home network, wife works from home.

"6E isn't going away when WiFi7 arrives -"

I have no idea of course but do listen to tech folks discuss it. Most of them advise not worth the cost. So if folks don't buy them, they'll go away.

"RT-AX86U is going to be relevant a while longer."

I plan on keeping it a long time. One tremendous router. Although I'm using it as an AP connected to an older i7 computer running PFSense.

On AX86U in AP Mode the Guest Network offered in settings has no separation from the main network. The reason I asked.

On AX86U in AP Mode the Guest Network offered in settings has no separation from the main network. The reason I asked.
I've never used Guest services.

"APs are cheaper and work better though"

Seems to me they also lag behind as compared to routers. The routers get a big roll out due to performance increases. AP's are just there if you can find one. I ended up sending the WiFi 6e AP back. It worked great. Just not all that noticeable in real world use. Not noticeable equals a big "No" from the wife factor end of things. Hard to justify the increased cost when the performance in real world use, not artificial testing, does not increase proportionately.

Seems to me they also lag behind as compared to routers.

Seem to me they don't. Otherwise businesses would be hanging spiders on walls and ceilings. I have 28 APs and only 1 home router in use on my networks. One of my networks serves 180 active clients reaching 3.2Gbps traffic. The difference may not be noticeable if you have 4 active clients.

My only 6E client isn't having stable connection with Asus GT AXE-16000, hoping its an issue with s23 ultra, so decided not to return it.

"Seem to me they don't"

What item are you referring too? Cause if it wireless access point you can always find those with latest and greatest because they're easier to make. The routers and all the extra stuff they have do don't come out first. ASUS will put ONE out just to grab attention.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!