What's new

A little network configuration help plz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ezlivin11

New Around Here
I am a total noob at networking, but I have spent the last few weeks soaking in all I can. That said, I could use some suggestions please. I have tried several different configurations, but so far nothing has fulfilled my needs.
1)Bridging the gateway, and using the 68R as the main router: Main issue was, needed low setting on firewall and I had to keep rebooting the net every time I was bumped off the internet.
2)Gateway in default and the 68R in wireless repeater mode: needed low setting on firewall and the 50% reduction on data speed.
3)Gateway in default and the 68R in AP mode: worked good but still needed the firewall in low setting.
4)Current Configuration: working good, and I am sitting behind a high firewall, but the other clients are at low setting.
The next configuration I wanted to try was using a standard modem with a switch wired, and then 3 routers making 3 separate networks, that way 2 net's(1 for Me and 1 for all other clients) can have high firewalls,
and the game consoles can have the low setting. So,I ordered a EMTA modem from Comcast and guess what they sent me another combo gateway go figure :-(.
Am I on the right track, or am I chasing my tail, or am I missing something in the firewall settings?

Current Configuration:
1) TC8305 Combo Gateway (low setting on the firewall)
wireless to the Gateway: 2 game consoles and 8 various wireless clients.
wired to the Gateway: 1 Computer, and 1 RT-AC68R/asus fw, in router mode, firewall on, NAT off
wireless to the 68R: 2 clients
wired: 1 computer
No printers connected at this time.

My requirements:
1) 3 Game consoles (my son says he needs low firewall settings to connect with PSN)
2) 10 wireless Clients (Tablets, Phones, TV's, Ect.)
3) 2 Printers
4) 2 Wired computers

i suggest using the asus router in NAT mode as the main router. Instead of using a low setting with firewall just simply enable upnp on the asus router for the consoles. If the gateway isnt a modem there is no use using it but if it is just set it to bridge mode.