1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

A little off topic: UPS backup power outdoors - how can I?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by username0475, Dec 18, 2018.

1. username0475

username0475 Regular Contributor

Not totally related to home networking but I trust you folks.
    Seeking advice on how I would go about putting a home consumer grade UPS backup power supply outdoors (in MidAtlantic weather).

Purpose is to provide an electrical charge for my outside mounted gas tankless water heater so that in freezing
    conditions & a power outage - it will have its re-circulation pump working.

I'm thinking I need:
    1) A water proof enclosure - not sure if plastic or metal is better.
    2) Some weather proofing material - freeze protect & heat resistant

Any ideas?

2. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

Most consumer UPS units will only provide enough power to run a small pump for minutes or maybe an hour. In freezing weather the battery will provide even less power.

To make your idea work you will need a small inverter and a much larger deep cycle marine battery.

username0475 likes this.
  3. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

have you looked at generac?

http://www.generac.com/

4. username0475

username0475 Regular Contributor

You don't think a home UPS can handle a max draw of 200W & 2A?
    It's a gas tankless with a small pilot light & the power only comes on to swish the water around to stop it from freezing .

So all small draws .

5. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

If the UPS you select has a typical 5 Ah battery that would mean that under the best of conditions it is capable of 60 Watts of power for one hour. With your current draw a small UPS would only run your water heater's pump for 18 minutes.

As I said you need to look at purchasing a larger system that can utilize a larger battery(s) 500 Ah. Tripp Lite makes a line of inverter/chargers that will maintain your battery string and then almost instantly switch over to providing AC power from your battery. Not inexpensive US$400 + plus the additional bucks to buy one or more deep cycle batteries. You would have to locate this device in your basement or garage and then extend the AC electrical connection to the water heater.