What's new

A Routing/multiple routers question...I need Help..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

latinlawyer

New Around Here
Ok, because my step-son eats up a ton of bandwith I need to set up a system to basically slowdown his access and speed.

SO what I want to do is assign a DD-wrt router just for him but it will be attached to my router and will be monitored by me.

Here is the setup:

I have a primary Verizon Fios Router (actiontec)

It's assigned address is 192.168.0.1 with the standard subnet 255.255.255.0 . Connected to this actiontec router via the WAN port is my wireless ASUS RT-N16 router (ASUS) and its addressed as 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0 subnet. Now what I want to add is a Netgear WNR-2000v3 with DD-wrt.

Question is the following:

1) I need to be able to monitor the settings for the netgear, what adress settings/configurations do I need to set to do that? It will be connected via ethernet from the Asus Lan Port to the Netgear WAN port. I want to assign it a 192.168.3.1 address and I want to be able to monitor it from a computer attached to the 192.168.1.1 Asus router.

2) A Lan port cable will run from the Netgear router to the WAN port in my step-son's TD Link router in his room. What settings does he input so that his network is on a different network and he can connect to the internet BUT cannot access the Netgear, Asus or Actiontec routers GUIs?

It will go:

Wired Routers:
Actiontec<------>Asus<--------->Netgear------------->TD Link
Fios---------------My router---------------Control Router--------------Kid's own Router
192.168.0.1--------------192.168.1.1------------192.168.3.1---------------192.168.4.1 (maybe)

Green denotes that I want to be able to view the GUI's. In short, TD-Link connected comps should not be able to see the GUI's on the other routers. I want to run access restriction and QOS on the Netgear so that my ASUS connected computers are not affected by restrictions in speed.

Thank you guys.

LL

This article might be helpful
How To: One Internet connection - Two Private LANs

If you put your router ahead of the DD-WRT router, the only way you will be able to view/control his GUI is to enable remote access. Also note that he will be able to access any machine connected to your router. So secure your LAN machines appropriately.

Why don't you just get a QoS enabled router and just set QoS service rules by IP address, MAC, or protocol?

I think it'll be simpler than having all these different subnets... because you know the next thing your step son is going to ask is why his apps won't work because it's not port forwarded :)

If you get a DD-WRT or Tomato compatible router, they have decent QoS features.

Why don't you just get a QoS enabled router and just set QoS service rules by IP address, MAC, or protocol?

I think it'll be simpler than having all these different subnets... because you know the next thing your step son is going to ask is why his apps won't work because it's not port forwarded :)

I second this over using multiple routers. For a home user, multiple routers can be a big headache, especially when something doesn't work properly.

If the stepson is a power user he can probably figure out to change his MAC address and IP. This will make it difficult to apply QOS particularly if he connects wirelessly. If he connects using an Ethernet port you can more effectively control bandwidth assigned to an Ethernet port.

I like this solution but unfortunately my additional routers only have rj11 wlan ports. SO cabling is a problem as obviously lan ports on internet router are rj45.