What's new

Ab-solution/pixelserv usb question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superjet

Regular Contributor
As far as how quickly those programs run, are there any practical differences when using a name brand super fast USB stick in the USB 3.0 slot vs a throwaway 5 year old USB 2.0 stick in the usb 2.0 slot?

The USB 3.0 hardware port issues with the AC68u are what have made me just use the usb 2.0 slot with an older slower stick so far. Are most of the tasks entware programs and ab-solution performing cpu bound?

right now im using 10+ year old 4GB stick that probably only reads and writes on a PC at 5MB.

Everything is functionally fast that I've done with it so far, just wondering if it makes a significant difference

As long as there's nothing wrong with the USB drive (physical defect, bad flash, etc.) and you're not doing really heavy I/O (media streaming?) the differences will be totally negligible. If you've just got basic entware, AB, pixelserv, etc. you're in great shape.

I still have my first USB stick, bought 18 years ago.
256 MB, using it in one of the test routers.
Does anyone here remember Iomega?
Yes, they also made USB sticks.

The only concern would be when logging is enabled and a lot is written to the logfile.
But dnsmasq handles that gracefully.
The blocking file and blacklist is loaded to memory, so there is no difference to a slow device, except for the time it loads them into it.

Pixelserv does not write anything at all except the generated certs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!