What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That anti-ads pack you're using uses a 5 yo IP list, this might be very outdated.
Thank you. I will take a look at it. In my fork, I modified it to use the same lists you provide in the Large Hosts file option in AB-Solution. The D-Link/DD-WRT router is installed at the children's home. I want to get rid of it and replace it with AC88U or AC1900. I need to write up use case and present it at the next committee meeting to justify spending the money. The features of AB-Solution, AI Protection and stability of ASUS Merlin will be a big part of the write up. I want to turn the D-Link into an AP and install it in another part of the facility to increase WIFI range. The DD-WRT firmware has some issues and I am getting tired of checking on it every few days to make sure cron and other features are still running. Getting ipset to work on it was a hack I'll never forget.

I ran a manual update on the hosts files and they are all downloading now.

Last edited:
Hello.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using the ab-solution at the same time with another software blocker for iOS for example?
The reason I started coding for the manual predecessor of AB, and the subsequent automatic installer under the name AB-Solution was my personal belief that ad-blocking can be done in a satisfying level on the router, benefitting all connected devices and having no need to install separate blocking software on any of these devices.

As this was my personal goal at the time and soon suceeded, I have never since installed a separate blocker on any of my devices.
When outside my LAN with the mobile devices, I simply connect them through the routers VPN to benefit from it.

But for some, the added granular control of a more cabable blocker on device level helps them to block ads that AB is not capable to block.
So, yes it does make sense to run both, depending on how much time you aare willing to spend on fine-tuning two ad-blockers. Note that AB does the most blocking in that case, leaving the device blocker with the few that got through.

Thank you. I will take a look at it. In my fork, I modified it to use the same lists you provide in the Large Hosts file option in AB-Solution. The D-Link/DD-WRT router is installed at the children's home. I want to get rid of it and replace it with AC88U or AC1900. I need to write up use case and present it at the next committee meeting to justify spending the money. The features of AB-Solution, AI Protection and stability of ASUS Merlin will be a big part of the write up. I want to turn the D-Link into an AP and install it in another part of the facility to increase WIFI range. The DD-WRT firmware has some issues and I am getting tired of checking on it every few days to make sure cron and other features are still running. Getting ipset to work on it was a hack I'll never forget.

I ran a manual update on the hosts files and they are all downloading now.
Using updated hosts lists, in address=domain->IP or the more common IP -> domain format is what I expected you to do in your fork. I just wanted to point out if you were using the five year old list from GitHub then many of the domains would be obsolete or missing.
Some of the hosts files are also available in the address=format but both formats can be used interchangably with Dnsmasq.
For AB, I made the decision long ago to stick to the format that is used, revisiting this occasionally when a user brings it up. With the outcome being that I made a wise choice at the time...

I feel honored that AB is included in a write-up to be presented to a board-meeting. I'm sure your expertise with the other routers you are maintaining in schools running AB will be in favour for your proposal.
Tell them the developer sends them his regards, adding that you yourself helped during beta testing of the current major version in a very supportive and mutually beneficial way.

The reason I started coding for the manual predecessor of AB, and the subsequent automatic installer under the name AB-Solution was my personal belief that ad-blocking can be done in a satisfying level on the router, benefitting all connected devices and having no need to install separate blocking software on any of these devices.

As this was my personal goal at the time and soon suceeded, I have never since installed a separate blocker on any of my devices.
When outside my LAN with the mobile devices, I simply connect them through the routers VPN to benefit from it.

But for some, the added granular control of a more cabable blocker on device level helps them to block ads that AB is not capable to block.
So, yes it does make sense to run both, depending on how much time you aare willing to spend on fine-tuning two ad-blockers. Note that AB does the most blocking in that case, leaving the device blocker with the few that got through.
Thanks to @thelonelycoder I dont need nor have installed a separate blocker on any of my devices!

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

But in the browser what kind of ads ab-solution is not able to block and a software blocker is capable?

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

But in the browser what kind of ads ab-solution is not able to block and a software blocker is capable?
Ads served from the same domain as the website.
Letting ads pass on one website but not on others from an ad hoster.
Selectively block ads from a ad hoster.
Simple in-browser adjustments.
There's more, but if you're happy with what AB does, these are the ones that are missed by most by AB users.

The only problem I am encountering when using ab solution through openvpn on ios is the fact that when I am connected to a wireless network outside my home and when the vpn connection goes into standby I do not get notifications.

If it is connected by 3G with vpn this no longer happens to me.

How do I solve the problem when I'm connected to wireless?

The only problem I am encountering when using ab solution through openvpn on ios is the fact that when I am connected to a wireless network outside my home and when the vpn connection goes into standby I do not get notifications.

If it is connected by 3G with vpn this no longer happens to me.

How do I solve the problem when I'm connected to wireless?
That may be a matter of the OpenVPN App settings, have a good look at the Settings in the iOS Settings App for OpenVPN (not the app itself).
See if you can figure out what causes the timeout. There is also a logfile if you click on the Profile in the App.

Just noticed this after a hosts update.

Under option follow the log file:

Select log verbosity [1-4 e=Exit] 1
Dnsmasq entry detected,
redirecting hosts to 127.0.0.1
Be aware that log file entries with '127.0.0.1'
are from another script, not AB-Solution

Haven't installed any other scripts. I did have a problem updating the hosts file. Seems like http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt was down for a day or two. But just updated succesfully.

pixelserv-tls is on.

* I do have other scripts but they haven't caused this behavior. Just followed log file yesterday before the hosts update when I encountered the notice.

Just noticed this after a hosts update.

Under option follow the log file:

Select log verbosity [1-4 e=Exit] 1
Dnsmasq entry detected,
redirecting hosts to 127.0.0.1
Be aware that log file entries with '127.0.0.1'
are from another script, not AB-Solution

Haven't installed any other scripts. I did have a problem updating the hosts file. Seems like http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt was down for a day or two. But just updated succesfully.

pixelserv-tls is on.

* I do have other scripts but they haven't caused this behavior. Just followed log file yesterday before the hosts update when I encountered the notice.
Post the content of dnsmasq.conf file, there's an entry in it.
You can view it in sf, then select the file.

You are correct. Looks like when I enabled DNSCRYPT via john's fork it put in the following entrys in /etc/dnsmasq.conf :

server=127.0.0.1#65054
server=127.0.0.1#65053

Very nice script you have crafted.

hmm, I got ads when using tapatalk at last few days? before I didn't have problems...is tapatalk app something change or is problem with my ab-solution?

Poslano z mojega EVA-L09 z uporabo Tapatalk

hmm, I got ads when using tapatalk at last few days? before I didn't have problems...is tapatalk app something change or is problem with my ab-solution?

I see no ads on the iPhone or iPad, and I'm not using the Pro version.
Make sure you are connected to your router, wlan or vpn and maybe force close the app.

I try everything....no chance to block ads over tapatalk...I got no ads when using other apps or browsing internet....realy strange....

I tried to install pixelserv, but i am having an error. When trying the "ps" command, it says pixelserv-tls is not running check system log in router webUI for clues.

Jun 17 04:16:19 admin: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/ac66u/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Jun 17 04:16:25 admin: AB-Solution created 192.168.2.2 for pixelserv during install.

Last edited:
I tried to install pixelserv, but i am having an error. When trying the "ps" command, it says pixelserv-tls is not running check system log in router webUI for clues.

Jun 17 04:16:19 admin: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /tmp/mnt/ac66u/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add.
Jun 17 04:16:25 admin: AB-Solution created 192.168.2.2 for pixelserv during install.
Router model, exact firmware version please.
Also, there's more in the syslog with pixelserv than you posted.

Asus rt-ac66u_B1
I have the latest firmware version.

The syslog only shows the one I posted earlier.
That's not normal, usually it says something about pixelserv not starting for a reason.
What happens if you enter ps again?

Same. It will not start :(
The standard AB installation went well, I presume.
In sf, select the AB config file and post the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.