What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply!

The reason I asked was that changing dns in the settings on the router breaks the AB-Solutions, by changing the dhcp server to point away from the router, then your script will fix it before continuing. Am I missing where else to change it while still using AB-Solutions?
NEVER change DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 in LAN/DHCP Server UNLESS you know exactly what you do.
Always change it in WAN, under the header "WAN DNS Setting".
This is for WAN upstream DNS, while LAN/DHCP Server is the setting (generally) for a local DNS Server.

NEVER change DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 in LAN/DHCP Server UNLESS you know exactly what you do.
Always change it in WAN, under the header "WAN DNS Setting".
This is for WAN upstream DNS, while LAN/DHCP Server is the setting (generally) for a local DNS Server.

That was it! Geez I feel dumb now, I totally missed that setting! Thanks, man!

The reason I asked was that changing dns in the settings on the router breaks the AB-Solutions, by changing the dhcp server to point away from the router, then your script will fix it before continuing.
The reason I do this and have to enforce it is simple to explain.
If you set a DNS server in these fields, resolving of ALL DNS queries would go to the set server and not the local Dnsmasq.
It would mean everything would be resolved by it, even your local queries.
It's like asking Google which IP your Printer has within your LAN. I would not trust nor want them to have an answer to that ;).

And since these queries would go upstream instead of through Dnsmasq, AB-Solution is unable to do its job as it would bypass it.

The reason I do this and have to enforce it is simple to explain.
If you set a DNS server in these fields, resolving of ALL DNS queries would go to the set server and not the local Dnsmasq.
It would mean everything would be resolved by it, even your local queries.
It's like asking Google which IP your Printer has within your LAN. I would not trust nor want them to have an answer to that ;).

And since these queries would go upstream instead of through Dnsmasq, AB-Solution is unable to do its job as it would bypass it.

Exactly why I was looking for a solution. I don't like my isp dns, and I wanted to test/try the 9.9.9.9 servers for a bit, that pushed to me look again, and ask here.

In German, I would answer with a definite Jein:

Now, AB-Solution does its ad-blocking by hijacking the DNS, in a good way and 100% locally on your router through the built in Dnsmasq. No one else can record or trace this, only the dnsmasq log file can if logging is enabled.

The new Quad9 service offered in your link is nothing else but a new public DNS resolver. Basically the same as your ISP offers or Google with their 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS. There are also managed DNS resolvers where you can fine tune your DNS needs, OpenDNS offers this as well.
My definite "Jein" is because AB-Solution has no setting to set this. This is done in the router Web UI WAN settings. You either use your ISPs DNS, generally the fastest and best, and the default when set to "Connect to DNS Server automatically". Or you set Googles, OpenDNS or the new 9.9.9.9.

It's all up to you and whom you trust.
I use the content category filtering features of OpenDNS at two sites combined with AB-Solution. Works great. I hope Cisco will continue to support the free service now that they own OpenDNS.

I'm having a problem with the Amazon Shopping app on my Google Pixel since installing AB-Solution. I keep getting the attached error message. As soon as I disable Wi-Fi, it works fine, so I'm pretty sure this is related to AB-Solution blocking something that the app is relying on. Is there a way for me to easily determine if there's something I need to whitelist to fix it?
d53331238ad273b006abfc66b6ddaaf6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm having a problem with the Amazon Shopping app on my Google Pixel since installing AB-Solution. I keep getting the attached error message. As soon as I disable Wi-Fi, it works fine, so I'm pretty sure this is related to AB-Solution blocking something that the app is relying on. Is there a way for me to easily determine if there's something I need to whitelist to fix it?
d53331238ad273b006abfc66b6ddaaf6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Use the follow the log file option f.

Please enjoy a small treat from me. Thank you from all of us for your hard work. I'm hoping you are Martin...lol

Just to remind you: There's a search function on this forum, I'll send you on a journey:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ing-solution-v3-9-2.37511/page-91#post-357825

I'm hoping you are Martin...lol
The name is thelonelycoder, but I hear that other name around me often and habitually ignore it :p

My apologies. I'll search next time. Your link gave me the information I needed to fix it. Thanks!
A yet unnamed feature will be selective whitelisting ( <-- there I found a name for it!) in AB-Solution 4.0.
You can turn on or off grouped whitelists for common use cases.

Hello sir thx you for reply my mails so fast / My router model is RT-AC87U on firmware 380.68_4. When I hit Enter to install the terminal freezes. i have to reboot the router and start from setup 1 than fressen again i will add troubleshooting commands.

Hello sir thx you for reply my mails so fast / My router model is RT-AC87U on firmware 380.68_4. When I hit Enter to install the terminal freezes. i have to reboot the router and start from setup 1 than fressen again i will add troubleshooting commands.
Welcome and thanks for registering, it makes things a lot easier through here than via E-Mail.

First try these commands in your SSH client. They are the ones run right after you start the install process.
Note: Replace "pro?" with "proc" in the command:
Code:
grep -oE 'merlin|OpenWrt|padavan' /pro?/version
This should return "merlin"

Then I check for dos2unix:
Code:
which dos2unix
This will return /usr/bin/dos2unix

Then I check if there are no other processes listening on port 80:
Code:
netstat -tuln | grep ":80 " | grep -q '0\.0\.0\.0:80 '
This should not return anything at all.

Then I check if the internet works but we leave that out for the moment.

AB-Solution 3.10 is now available

Use cu to update to this latest version.
Visit the website or look at post No. 1 to see what's new in this version.

Status
Not open for further replies.