What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really not necessary and nothing to worry about, dnsmasq simply ignores these lines and jumps to the next line to read in.
And as long as there are foreign characters in certain hosts files, this remains the case as the blocking_file is renewed once every week on update day.

Removing the offending character from a domain name may have a detrimental effect:
appl<illigal char>e.com
after removing:
apple.com

Hmmm.

You could look for a way to filter those files, converting these entries into punycode.

HI I have the latest version of ab-solution installed with level 1 blocking but it won't finish downloading the 3rd hosts file just hangs and then advises me to install everything again. For some reason this all started with a program alert saying I should run the update command manually. Any ideas how to fix this?

HI I have the latest version of ab-solution installed with level 1 blocking but it won't finish downloading the 3rd hosts file just hangs and then advises me to install everything again. For some reason this all started with a program alert saying I should run the update command manually. Any ideas how to fix this?
What is your third hosts file and if the website is up, why is it blocked?

@skeal: all of the hosts files domains AB uses are up and running.
Check why your third is blocked.
If you use one of the firewall scripts, then look there first.

@skeal: all of the hosts files domains AB uses are up and running.
Check why your third is blocked.
If you use one of the firewall scripts, then look there first.
You were absolutely correct it was banned so unbanned and pow works again. Thanks for the heads up.

If any AB-Solution users are also using iblocklist.com generic ipset loader for ipset v6 and v4, written by @redhat27, and you use the blacklist-domains.txt file to block microsoft telemetry and shodan scanners listed here https://github.com/shounak-de/iblocklist-loader, please be aware that it may block the IP address used by pixelserv-tls. It did for me on three routers. AB-Solution will complain there is a problem with pixelserv-tls, yet you will still see two active pids for the ip address assigned to pixelserv-tls for admin and nobody.

Please see this threads in the iblocklist.com generic ipset loader for ipset v6 and v4 thread on how to fix.
Post 202
Post 203
Post 207

Last edited:
I have a very basic question about this script.
Does this cause any problem with some of the programs that feed off of the free advertising?
I'm not sure if I worded this correctly but I hope the concept is understandable. I think WebMD and Dr. Josh Axe's websites feed off the ads that are displayed. Some claim that is how they keep their services free. There are more. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

I'm not sure if I worded this correctly but I hope the concept is understandable. I think WebMD and Dr. Josh Axe's websites feed off the ads that are displayed. Some claim that is how they keep their services free. There are more. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
This applies for every Website that displays ads: Ads generate income that helps pay to run the website. Some make more off of it, others less.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it just needs to be reasonable.

If any AB-Solution users are also using iblocklist.com generic ipset loader for ipset v6 and v4, written by @redhat27, and you use the blacklist-domains.txt file to block microsoft telemetry and shodan scanners listed here https://github.com/shounak-de/iblocklist-loader, please be aware that it may block the IP address used by pixelserv-tls. It did for me on three routers. AB-Solution will complain there is a problem with pixelserv-tls, yet you will still see two active pids for the ip address assigned to pixelserv-tls for admin and nobody.

Please see this threads in the iblocklist.com generic ipset loader for ipset v6 and v4 thread on how to fix.
Post 202
Post 203
Post 207
@thelonelycoder Would it be possible to do the auto-whitelisting in AB that you mentioned earlier for that file (/jffs/ipset_lists/blacklist-domains.txt) if it exists? It contains domains list, not IPs

Also, might I add @Xentrk that this has not posed a problem for me. Not sure why pixelserv-tls was not starting for you. I use AB, pixelserv-tls, iblocklist-loader, ya-malware-block all without conflict.

This applies for every Website that displays ads: Ads generate income that helps pay to run the website. Some make more off of it, others less.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it just needs to be reasonable.
I couldn't agree with you more. I was just concerned about some of the stuff I use that is free because of the ads they include in their "Free versions".

@thelonelycoder Would it be possible to do the auto-whitelisting in AB that you mentioned earlier for that file (/jffs/ipset_lists/blacklist-domains.txt) if it exists? It contains domains list, not IPs

Also, might I add @Xentrk that this has not posed a problem for me. Not sure why pixelserv-tls was not starting for you. I use AB, pixelserv-tls, iblocklist-loader, ya-malware-block all without conflict.
That's a blocklist, you want these blocked by AB?

No, quite the opposite, actually. The entries on this file should not resolve to local IPs. So these should be whitelisted by AB, (only if the /jffs/ipset_lists/blacklist-domains.txt exist)
That's why I asked, OK, no problem.
I'll add it ASAP.

No, quite the opposite, actually. The entries on this file should not resolve to local IPs. So these should be whitelisted by AB, (only if the /jffs/ipset_lists/blacklist-domains.txt exist)
Users might have added some of these to their own AB blacklist.txt. This file I never touch so they may have to adjust it themselves.
I only auto-whitelist entries in the blocking_file (amalgamated hosts files).

I have shooter40sw list enabled in AB, for me these entries in that file resolve to my pixelserv ip:
Code:
settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
telemetry.appex.bing.net
redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
choice.microsoft.com
pre.footprintpredict.com
watson.live.com
vortex.data.microsoft.com
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
df.telemetry.microsoft.com
telemetry.microsoft.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
watson.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
I have not added any of these to AB blacklist.txt manually

@redhat27, in which scripts is the blacklist-domains.txt used?
I want to make sure the main script is present and therefore active before I include it as whitelist.

update-hosts.add version 3.8.2 is now available for AB-Solution

Use 12 or cu in the AB UI to update to this latest addon version.

Changelog update-hosts.add v3.8.2:
- adds auto-whitelist support for @redhat27's iblocklist-loader.sh and ya-malware-block scripts.sh.
- auto-whitelists domains used in the above scripts to use full potential of them

Note that the auto-whitelisting of domains only works if the above scripts are installed in the default locations:
/jffs/scripts/iblocklist-loader.sh and/or ya-malware-block.sh
/jffs/ipset_lists/blacklist-domains.txt and/or ya-malware-block.urls

Run u once manually after the update to update the blocking file and auto-whitelist the domains.

@Adamm's and @Martineau's scripts do not need whitelisting in AB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.