What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My final issue after working around the others was android chrome browser still not being able to follow a google ad link, I had it working fine on my laptop.
The top search results usually are affiliated links, using a redirect url that goes through one of the blocked domains.
Not clicking them but the real site links below those works in 99% of the cases.

Try disabling Google's phishing and malware protection in the privacy settings.

If it doesn't help and you have more time to spare, try exporting the pixelserv certificate and importing it to your Android phone.

Instructions on how to export it: https://github.com/kvic-z/pixelserv-tls
And the easiest way I found to import it to Android devices: http://cadroid.bitfire.at
Thanks but no dice :(
The top search results usually are affiliated links, using a redirect url that goes through one of the blocked domains.
Not clicking them but the real site links below those works in 99% of the cases.
Yes those are the problems, trouble is my wife isn't that technical so getting her to ignore certain links doesn't go down well.

Giving up now thanks, it breaks more things than it fixes for me. I will give a browser based one a go.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It was 10.0.0.2...10.0.0.254.
I didn’t suggest to get an IP from DHCP. I suggest reserving it only, so it won’t be given to anything else.
That is exactly what the DHCP range limitation does.
Agreed, except the former is less hassle, IMO of course.

It will not prevent other devices from using it if you manually assign an IP outside the DHCP range, but this is described in the help text.
It’s no different with either approach.
Anyway, it’s your program. All I want is to throw a suggestion. Let’s close this subject?

In the ps menu, select '7. Reset pixelserv settings, change PS IP'. Then start the ps install again, only this time lower the upper DHCP limit.
Got, thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a little puzzled. I have a domain blacklisted as it serves ads to a page I visit. As long as I have been following this dnsmasq method, the banner ads at the top of the page are blank. Recently, though, they remain blank in IE and Firefox, but appear in Chrome. I've flushed the windows dns cache, and flushed the Chrome cache repeatedly, and they still appear. Any ideas? It almost seems as if Chrome has started using its own DNS resolver.

I'm a little puzzled. I have a domain blacklisted as it serves ads to a page I visit. As long as I have been following this dnsmasq method, the banner ads at the top of the page are blank. Recently, though, they remain blank in IE and Firefox, but appear in Chrome. I've flushed the windows dns cache, and flushed the Chrome cache repeatedly, and they still appear. Any ideas? It almost seems as if Chrome has started using its own DNS resolver.
That would be a candidate for f option 4! Follow the instructions to the dot. See what AB finds...

I just tested f option 4 with Chrome and Firefox.
It works in Firefox, but Chrome seems to do it's own thing. It only worked the second time I tried, with Firefox first and on Chrome reloading the page.

Thanks, found it. It is an artifact of enabling Chrome's data saver plug in. All http requests are sent to proxy.googlezip.net then, bypassing all of the blocked domains. When I removed the plug in, things returned to normal.

AB-Solution website migration under way.

Starting now, the ab-solution.info website is being migrated to a new server.
This is an ongoing process and will take about 24 hours to propagate worldwide.

I expect to no longer experience any website downtime after the migration.
The current website runs on IP 80.74.145.2, the new server IP is: 80.74.156.155.
Both servers are located in a Data-center in Zurich, Switzerland.

This migration is not noticeable in any way except for the IP address change.
All services will be up on both servers until worldwide Name-server propagation is over.

Edit: Website is now running on the new Server, Name-Servers have been changed.
For Europe/Switzerland this means the website will be served from the new server within 2 hours, 24 hours worldwide.

Last edited:
Today I was trying to upgrade to pixelserv-tls version v35.HZ12.Kj with PS + 6 option. However, http://IP/servstats cannot be found. Next, I select option 7 to reset pixelserv settings and purge certificates. This time http://IP/servstats shows up so I believe it's working.

Important, please read:
Updating / upgrading pixelserv-tls to the latest version Kj

The Entware package repository now offers the latest version of pixelserv-tls v35.HZ12.Kj for both MIPS and ARM routers.
This update or upgrade replaces the start file /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls with a standard version that will not work in AB-Solution.
The solution is as simple as turning ad-blocking (a) off and back on after the update. This writes a new compatible start file and pixelserv-tls will work again. Then purge the old certificates.

Steps to successfully update pixelserv-tls from Ki to Kj:
1. in the ps menu select '6. Manage Entware packages'
2. use either option '4. update and upgrade pixelserv' or '6. update and upgrade installed packages' to update/upgrade the Entware package(s)
3. turn off and back on ad-blocking, using the a option
4. in the ps menu, select '4. Purge generated pixelserv certificates' and confirm to purge the old certificates
5. Step 4 is mandatory if you updated to pixelserv.tls version Kj!
6. check if all went well by looking at the stats page: http://pixelservip/servstats where pixelserv ip is the ip address that pixelserv is listening on

It will report: pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kj
Then log into your router's WebUI and look at the Syslog while browsing some websites. The log should contain entries for creation of new pixelserv certs for https domains.

Happy ad-blocking!

Note: This is what happened to @quant88 in the post above this post. Do not follow his way, there is no need to reinstall everything, just turn ad-blocking off and back on, then purge the old certificates.

FYI, this is what a working /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls file looks like, <pixelserv IP> being your real IP:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# DO NOT EDIT this part of the file #
# generated by AB-Solution 3.8
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
ENABLED=yes
PROCS=pixelserv-tls
ARGS="<pixelserv IP> "
PREARGS=""
PRECMD="ulimit -s 64"
DESC="$PROCS (AB-Solution)"
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func
# end of DO NOT EDIT #
To view the file, go into the AB sub menu and use the sf option.

Last edited:
1. Did this, worked fine, going from the earlier dynamic build of .kj to the entware build.
2. I'm now reporting a pixelserv build date of May 30 (had been May 26), but not May 31.
3. What changed in the S80 file from the .ki version--didn't see it?

2. I'm now reporting a pixelserv build date of May 30 (had been May 26), but not May 31.
It's just the build date, I removed this part in the original post. The Kj is important.
3. What changed in the S80 file from the .ki version--didn't see it?
Nothing changed. The problem is that the update/upgrade replaces the AB file with a standard S80pixelserv-tls file.
Standard S80pixelserv-tls is this, a bare bone minimum compared to the AB file posted in my original post:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=pixelserv-tls
ARGS=""
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

AB uses optimizations and directs to only use the reserved IP. Without the IP part pixelserv wants to listen on every IP with *80 which fails and therefore pixelserv won't start.
AB overwrites this file every time a change is required to it. Switching ad-blocking off and on is one of the reasons. It rewrites the ENABLED=yes to ENABLED=no.

Important, please read:
Updating / upgrading pixelserv-tls to the latest version Kj

The Entware package repository now offers the latest version of pixelserv-tls v35.HZ12.Kj for both MIPS and ARM routers.
This update or upgrade replaces the start file /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls with a standard version that will not work in AB-Solution.
The solution is as simple as turning ad-blocking (a) off and back on after the update. This writes a new compatible start file and pixelserv-tls will work again. Then purge the old certificates.

Steps to successfully update pixelserv-tls from Ki to Kj:
1. in the ps menu select '6. Manage Entware packages'
2. use either option '4. update and upgrade pixelserv' or '6. update and upgrade installed packages' to update/upgrade the Entware package(s)
3. turn off and back on ad-blocking, using the a option
4. in the ps menu, select '4. Purge generated pixelserv certificates' and confirm to purge the old certificates
5. Step 4 is mandatory if you updated to pixelserv.tls version Kj!
6. check if all went well by looking at the stats page: http://pixelservip/servstats where pixelserv ip is the ip address that pixelserv is listening on

It will report: pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kj
Then log into your router's WebUI and look at the Syslog while browsing some websites. The log should contain entries for creation of new pixelserv certs for https domains.

Happy ad-blocking!

Note: This is what happened to @quant88 in the post above this post. Do not follow his way, there is no need to reinstall everything, just turn ad-blocking off and back on, then purge the old certificates.

FYI, this is what a working /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls file looks like, <pixelserv IP> being your real IP:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# DO NOT EDIT this part of the file #
# generated by AB-Solution 3.8
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
ENABLED=yes
PROCS=pixelserv-tls
ARGS="<pixelserv IP> "
PREARGS=""
PRECMD="ulimit -s 64"
DESC="$PROCS (AB-Solution)"
# end of DO NOT EDIT #
Thank you for the very clear instructions. For step 2, I selected option '6. update and upgrade installed packages' to update/upgrade the Entware package(s): I also got May 30 instead of May 31. 3 routers updated with the following line at the top of pixelservip/servstats:
Code:
pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kj compiled: May 30 2017 22:33:13 options: pixelservip

Last edited:
Thank you for the very clear instructions. For step 2, I selected option '6. update and upgrade installed packages' to update/upgrade the Entware package(s): I also got May 30 instead of May 31. 3 routers updated with the following line at the top of pixelservip/servstats:
Code:
pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kj compiled: May 30 2017 22:33:13 options: pixelservip
I copied that line from a MIPS router, @kvic must have compiled it on the 31st, while the ARM version was done a day before.

Thanks for the quick guide that worked for me.

Went from april build to new one now.

pixelserv-tls version: v35.HZ12.Kj compiled: May 30 2017

What script is generating this message in system log?
Code:
Jun  4 21:07:14 admin: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from .
Should there be some text after the "from"? Danke.

What script is generating this message in system log?
Code:
Jun  4 21:07:14 admin: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from .
Should there be some text after the "from"? Danke.

The DESC variable in the S80... file.

And it starts from . Which is /opt/bin/, the 'root' for Entware binaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.