What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to get even more detail in the weekly 'Router Stats' email by increasing all of the 'Top 10' lists to 'Top 20' lists? Is this something that I can easily tweak myself?
Look again at the (rs) option options...

Thank you for AB-solution. It is pretty useful. I have it installed on an AC66U running merlin. I recently reflashed my router and when I installed AB solution, this time it noted that I had DNS filtering and stated that it was removing my LAN DNS server entry.
I run DNScrypt because it is cool. I use OpenDNS to keep junk out of my LAN and away from the kids. I also have dnsmasq CNAME entries to restrict youtube and google/bing to family versions. And ipv6 is on and ipv6 dns is pointing to my dnscrypt proxy.

I wasn't able to figure out what ab-solutions changed to my DNS setup in the end. Would any of the changes by ab-solutions break my dnscrypt/opendns/dnsmasq setup?

thanks,
rearden

Thank you for AB-solution. It is pretty useful. I have it installed on an AC66U running merlin. I recently reflashed my router and when I installed AB solution, this time it noted that I had DNS filtering and stated that it was removing my LAN DNS server entry.
I run DNScrypt because it is cool. I use OpenDNS to keep junk out of my LAN and away from the kids. I also have dnsmasq CNAME entries to restrict youtube and google/bing to family versions. And ipv6 is on and ipv6 dns is pointing to my dnscrypt proxy.

I wasn't able to figure out what ab-solutions changed to my DNS setup in the end. Would any of the changes by ab-solutions break my dnscrypt/opendns/dnsmasq setup?

thanks,
rearden
Whatever you have in those two fields directs Dnsmasq to query these upstream dns servers. That way AB can not work. Hence the removal, else AB is pointless on your router.

Hey there ad-free users,

I'm using AB-Solutions 3.6.5, so far everything is okay. Just one question: since a few days I got a dual WAN connection (unfurtunatly the builder of our new house didnt spent money on a fibre cable, so we are stuck with a 50/10Mbit connection). So, now we got two 50Mbit lines and I set them up as load balancing with some manual routings due to double IP issues. I experienced that AB-solutions seems to block only some ads now.

Is there anything I should be aware of when using dual WAN?

Last edited:
Hey there ad-free users,

I'm using AB-Solutions 3.6.5, so far everything is okay. Just one question: since a few days I got a dual WAN connection (unfurtunatly the builder of our new house didnt spent money on a fibre cable, so we are stuck with a 50/10Mbit connection). So, now we got two 50Mbit lines and I set them up as load balancing with same manual routings due to double IP issues. I experienced that AB-solutions seems to block only some ads now.

Is there anything I should be aware of when using dual WAN?
There are builders in Switzerland using cost effective methods to lower costs? How? The word 'cheap' is not part of our every day vocabulary...
Anyway, see if both WAN connections are routed the same on the LAN side. Dnsmasq needs to handle every query and lookup itself, no upstream resolver.
What ISPs are you on?

There are builders in Switzerland using cost effective methods to lower costs? How? The word 'cheap' is not part of our every day vocabulary...
Anyway, see if both WAN connections are routed the same on the LAN side. Dnsmasq needs to handle every query and lookup itself, no upstream resolver.
What ISPs are you on?

We got two Internet50 connection from Swisscom

We got two Internet50 connection from Swisscom
Follow the logfile with (f), option 1 and see what goes through dnsmasq. If the wired or the second WAN does not route through it, find the setting in WAN.

Bump

I don't think this ad is strange. They likely serve it from their own servers.
Plus, it's a lovely ad, not as abnoxious as others...

I have now discovered that if I test with the Speedtest application on my iPhone 6 or iPad Pro the window with the advertising at the end appears, but if I perform the same test with an iPhone 4 I no longer have the advertising window at the end!

The application versions are the same.

I have now discovered that if I test with the Speedtest application on my iPhone 6 or iPad Pro the window with the advertising at the end appears, but if I perform the same test with an iPhone 4 I no longer have the advertising window at the end!

The application versions are the same.
A great discoyery. One ponders where do all these ads come from, what's the meaning of them and, generally, why do we have to block them in the first place?

Just a feature suggestion, not that necessary, if the stats can tell which websites are ads and which are malicious, based on which host files are used to block it, would be great helping to make sure that if devices attempt malicious websites several times, we will be able to check it further. Or even better, add additional part saying which devices access malicious websites for how many times.
What you're asking is actually built into the stats function, providing that client accesses the website in sufficient numbers to be shown in the detailed devices stats in the last list. You can set how many devices and domains you want to see in the stats report.
The (rs) option 3 lets you select between the values of 5 and 30. If the malicious site still not appears in the stats, then the website may not be worth your time to investigate. If it is blocked and not in the stats, there is no need to spend time on it.

There is currently a stat list for "The top X blocked ad domains were" which will show malicious site access attempts on a global level. The "Top X domains for top X clients" list will show the top domains per client whether they were allowed or not. The only modification i could see which might help @Wutikorn case, is to perhaps include an option to filter the per client list to only show the blocked domains. This would reveal more detail for blocked sites with lower hits, which may not be sufficient to make it to the "top X" in normal circumstances ( below even top 30 ranking). Another "have the stats your way" option which may seem easy in principle, but maybe a bitch to code........ don't know how much interest an option like this would have. Thoughts guys/gals?

Edit: Another alternative might be separate Top X (allowed) and Top X (blocked) lists per client.

Last edited:
There is currently a stat list for "The top X blocked ad domains were" which will show malicious site access attempts on a global level. The "Top X domains for top X clients" list will show the top domains per client whether they were allowed or not. The only modification i could see which might help @Wutikorn case, is to perhaps include an option to filter the per client list to only show the blocked domains. This would reveal more detail for blocked sites with lower hits, which may not be sufficient to make it to the "top X" in normal circumstances ( below even top 30 ranking). Another "have the stats your way" option which may seem easy in principle, but maybe a bitch to code........ don't know how much interest an option like this would have. Thoughts guys/gals?

Edit: Another alternative might be separate Top X (allowed) and Top X (blocked) lists per client.
That may or may not what OP wants, but doable.
Next thing that will be asked of me is to lift and steal the code to include the malware and other firewall filters, integrate it into AB.next-version and include it in the stats...

That may or may not what OP wants, but doable.
Next thing that will be asked of me is to lift and steal the code to include the malware and other firewall filters, integrate it into AB.next-version and include it in the stats...
What?....no one has asked you to do that already...... give em time ;)

But seriously.... the stats is one of the aspects of AB which lifts it above the ordinary. I think its a natural evolution that, once people start to really look at the stats, with the level of detail it now contains, then they see things which could be done to tailor it to their specific needs. I for one, like to see the allowed domains so i can have a high level view of the stuff my kids are accessing, and in addition it might identify sites which i may need to consider blocking. The blocked domains are good to see for the reasons stated earlier, amongst which could be identifying multiple access attempts which may mean some malware is trying to phone home, alternatively you may have some legitimate software trying to access some site it needs for its functionality which has somehow made it onto the blocklist etc...

Hi @thelonelycoder ,

Just a feedback suggestion.

Since a few days one of the sources changed googleadservices.com to www.googleadservices.com which caused this one to not be processed when processing the whitelist.
It was only able to fix it by adding the www infront (checking the log I saw googleadservices.com was still blocked).

When processing the whitelist; can you make it that it will notify as you do when adding a new domain? The tool states when a URL or similar URL is found.

KUTGW!

Cheers,

On that page : http://www.ab-solution.info/use/hosts-files.html
i can see that you use stevenblack host file in scenario 6 with yoyo too even if stevenblack already include it as mentioned here :
https://github.com/StevenBlack/host...sources-of-hosts-data-unified-in-this-variant

Same for someonewhocares.org, mvps and Malware Domain List

Could be faster.. :)
Thanks, now that you mention it, I wanted to do it right from the start. It got under with the workload and I never wrote it down to check.
Will do that for the next version.

When processing the whitelist; can you make it that it will notify as you do when adding a new domain? The tool states when a URL or similar URL is found.
Not really, depending on how many whitelist entries you have, there may be a thousand domains that potentially could trigger that notification.
My whitelist is large.

Status
Not open for further replies.