What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Move the browser window to the left monitor, move Notepad++ to the main center one, have file explorer and WinSCP open on the right and Xshell 5 at the top monitor, dim brightness and turn up the volume and start coding.
Now had did you know I had 4 monitors? :eek: haha

Found a small bug, or at least I think so.
When using a VPN for all devices, I can't update ab-solutions via the terminal interface because it fails to connect to ab-solutions.info. Also the updates of the block lists seems to fail.
Is there a fix for that?

When using a VPN for all devices, I can't update ab-solutions via the terminal interface because it fails to connect to ab-solutions.info. Also the updates of the block lists seems to fail.
Is there a fix for that?
That's not a bug in AB-Solution but a configuration problem with your VPN.
Make sure the router terminal can access the interwebs.
ping ab-solution.info
It should answer with IP 80.74.156.155

If AB-Solution cannot access the internet, so probably can't the NTP, merlin updates and other services.

Is there a fix for that?
I think I know the issue you are talking about. It has to do with the way Merlin implemented OpenVPN. You can see a recent discussion on this thread. I think it was around two weeks ago. I discovered issues with ABS when OpenVPN with policy rules. I discovered a routing issue with not being able to connect to the ABS server for updates and ABS not working over the VPN tunnel. You can see read about it in the links below in the section for policy rules and the settings to fix the issue. Let me know if it helps.

I use Syslog Watcher to capture logging events from an Asus router over port 514, sent to a Windows computer with a static IP address. That all worked fine until recently, after I re-installed Ab-solution, and enabled Ab-solution’s logging feature; ‘l’ on the main menu. Now, when logging is enabled in Ab-solution, DHCP requests & acks no longer appear in the Syslog, nothing from Dnsmasq at all. I’m a Linux novice, so I don’t know enough about Dnsmasq configuration to fix the problem. If I disable logging in Ab-solution, then normal DHCP (Dnsmasq) logging activity resumes, and the events are captured by Syslog. It’s probably an easy fix, but I’m just learning Linux.

I use Syslog Watcher to capture logging events from an Asus router over port 514, sent to a Windows computer with a static IP address. That all worked fine until recently, after I re-installed Ab-solution, and enabled Ab-solution’s logging feature; ‘l’ on the main menu. Now, when logging is enabled in Ab-solution, DHCP requests & acks no longer appear in the Syslog, nothing from Dnsmasq at all. I’m a Linux novice, so I don’t know enough about Dnsmasq configuration to fix the problem. If I disable logging in Ab-solution, then normal DHCP (Dnsmasq) logging activity resumes, and the events are captured by Syslog. It’s probably an easy fix, but I’m just learning Linux.
In AB-Solution when logging is enabled, all Dnsmasq messages go to the logfile instead of syslog.
There is no work-around built into AB to pipe it to both - and no plans to do so.
Figure out a way to also include the /adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log for your external log server if you wish to do so.

In AB-Solution when logging is enabled, all Dnsmasq messages go to the logfile instead of syslog. There is no work-around built into AB to pipe it to both - and no plans to do so. Figure out a way to also include the /adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log for your external log server if you wish to do so.

Alright thanks for the quick followup. I need DHCP (Dnsmasq) logging to work, so I’ll disable logging in Ab-solution, but then no Ads Stats unfortunately. I’m sure DHCP events were appearing in Syslog when I initially installed Ab-solution, even with Ad Stats logging enabled. It was only after I uninstalled Ab-solution, then reinstalled it later, onto a new USB drive, that I noticed DHCP activity stopped appearing in Syslog. I also took a look at the /adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log file, it doesn’t contain any DHCP entries at all. I may uninstall Ab-solution for now, and endeavour to learn more about Dnsmasq.

Thanks

Alright thanks for the quick followup. I need DHCP (Dnsmasq) logging to work, so I’ll disable logging in Ab-solution, but then no Ads Stats unfortunately. I’m sure DHCP events were appearing in Syslog when I initially installed Ab-solution, even with Ad Stats logging enabled. It was only after I uninstalled Ab-solution, then reinstalled it later, onto a new USB drive, that I noticed DHCP activity stopped appearing in Syslog. I also took a look at the /adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log file, it doesn’t contain any DHCP entries at all. I may uninstall Ab-solution for now, and endeavour to learn more about Dnsmasq.

Thanks
Before you uninstalled AB-Solution you may have had an entry such as log-dhcp in one of the custom files.
If you put log-dhcp into /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add you'll get these dhcp messages back.
Note that to see them in the Syslog you may have to set "Log only messages more urgent than" to all and have logging in AB disabled.

I'm having an issue with the asus website with ab-solution running..
If its running I can't select the drop down menu under "Please select OS" on web page

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

I tried adding asus to the white list..

Not sure how to fix this..
The "Please select OS" is as dead simple html select dropdown menu. I highly doubt that AB even remotely has a chance to modify that page code.
If it can, let me know. That would be a break-through!
The menu is the same, no matter what browser or OS you use so it is unlikely dynamic via JS.

I have not seen any sites detecting I am using an ad blocker recently. Forbes used to. But I checked today and no issues. For ad block browser plugs in, such as Ad Block Plus, it may be a different story..

https://github.com/sitexw/frackAdBlock

https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer
https://github.com/Mechazawa/frackFuckAdblock

Last edited:
The "Please select OS" is as dead simple html select dropdown menu. I highly doubt that AB even remotely has a chance to modify that page code.
If it can, let me know. That would be a break-through!
The menu is the same, no matter what browser or OS you use so it is unlikely dynamic via JS.

Well if I disable ad-solution it works fine..., I also tried with many browsers and even with my cell phone, only works with it disabled..

I don't know why

I can select the options in the drop down window.. it just won't load anything after I select an OS in the drop down

Well if I disable ad-solution it works fine..., I also tried with many browsers and even with my cell phone, only works with it disabled..

I don't know why

I can select the options in the drop down window.. it just won't load anything after I select an OS in the drop down
What blocking file type is in use?

Medium

And I just installed firefox still not working with ad-solution

Status
Not open for further replies.