Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AB-Solution - The Ad Blocking Solution (v3.9.2)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by thelonelycoder, Feb 15, 2017.

1. thelonelycoder

thelonelycoder Part of the Furniture

Move the browser window to the left monitor, move Notepad++ to the main center one, have file explorer and WinSCP open on the right and Xshell 5 at the top monitor, dim brightness and turn up the volume and start coding.

2. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Very Senior Member

Now had did you know I had 4 monitors? :eek: haha

3. thelonelycoder

A wild guess while I was looking for the curser in limbo.

Jack Yaz likes this.
  4. stevec

stevec New Around Here

Found a small bug, or at least I think so.
    When using a VPN for all devices, I can't update ab-solutions via the terminal interface because it fails to connect to ab-solutions.info. Also the updates of the block lists seems to fail.
    Is there a fix for that?

5. thelonelycoder

That's not a bug in AB-Solution but a configuration problem with your VPN.
    Make sure the router terminal can access the interwebs.
    ping ab-solution.info
    It should answer with IP 80.74.156.155

If AB-Solution cannot access the internet, so probably can't the NTP, merlin updates and other services.

6. Xentrk

Xentrk Very Senior Member

I think I know the issue you are talking about. It has to do with the way Merlin implemented OpenVPN. You can see a recent discussion on this thread. I think it was around two weeks ago. I discovered issues with ABS when OpenVPN with policy rules. I discovered a routing issue with not being able to connect to the ABS server for updates and ABS not working over the VPN tunnel. You can see read about it in the links below in the section for policy rules and the settings to fix the issue. Let me know if it helps.

skeal and thelonelycoder like this.
  7. techcafe

techcafe New Around Here

I use Syslog Watcher to capture logging events from an Asus router over port 514, sent to a Windows computer with a static IP address. That all worked fine until recently, after I re-installed Ab-solution, and enabled Ab-solution’s logging feature; ‘l’ on the main menu. Now, when logging is enabled in Ab-solution, DHCP requests & acks no longer appear in the Syslog, nothing from Dnsmasq at all. I’m a Linux novice, so I don’t know enough about Dnsmasq configuration to fix the problem. If I disable logging in Ab-solution, then normal DHCP (Dnsmasq) logging activity resumes, and the events are captured by Syslog. It’s probably an easy fix, but I’m just learning Linux.

8. thelonelycoder

In AB-Solution when logging is enabled, all Dnsmasq messages go to the logfile instead of syslog.
    There is no work-around built into AB to pipe it to both - and no plans to do so.
    Figure out a way to also include the /adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log for your external log server if you wish to do so.

9. techcafe

techcafe New Around Here

Alright thanks for the quick followup. I need DHCP (Dnsmasq) logging to work, so I’ll disable logging in Ab-solution, but then no Ads Stats unfortunately. I’m sure DHCP events were appearing in Syslog when I initially installed Ab-solution, even with Ad Stats logging enabled. It was only after I uninstalled Ab-solution, then reinstalled it later, onto a new USB drive, that I noticed DHCP activity stopped appearing in Syslog. I also took a look at the /adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log file, it doesn’t contain any DHCP entries at all. I may uninstall Ab-solution for now, and endeavour to learn more about Dnsmasq.

Thanks

10. thelonelycoder

Before you uninstalled AB-Solution you may have had an entry such as log-dhcp in one of the custom files.
    If you put log-dhcp into /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add you'll get these dhcp messages back.
    Note that to see them in the Syslog you may have to set "Log only messages more urgent than" to all and have logging in AB disabled.

11. Spydawg

Spydawg Occasional Visitor

12. Xentrk

The drop down list works for me using AB-Max block list with Firefox. Try a different browser and temporarily turn off ABS to see if that makes a difference.

13. thelonelycoder

The "Please select OS" is as dead simple html select dropdown menu. I highly doubt that AB even remotely has a chance to modify that page code.
    If it can, let me know. That would be a break-through!
    The menu is the same, no matter what browser or OS you use so it is unlikely dynamic via JS.

14. Xentrk

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  15. Spydawg

Well if I disable ad-solution it works fine..., I also tried with many browsers and even with my cell phone, only works with it disabled..

I don't know why

I can select the options in the drop down window.. it just won't load anything after I select an OS in the drop down

16. thelonelycoder

What blocking file type is in use?

17. Spydawg

Medium

And I just installed firefox still not working with ad-solution

18. thelonelycoder

Add www.googletagmanager.com to the whitelist.

Makaveli likes this.
  19. Spydawg

20. 56kbps

56kbps Occasional Visitor

AB-Solution no longer working.