What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem you have is that you need to add at least ONE empty line after the last bit of code in every script you have that adds to dnsmasq.conf
In fact it is good practice to do it with every script.
This is evident with this line:
Code:
#conf-file=/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.win10.conflog-facility=/tmp/mnt/ASUS/adblocking/logs/dnsmasq.log
This is two lines in one. AB does this automatically to files it generates, but hand coded ones by users are out of AB's reach.
Donation link is on my Website.
Thanks
Thank you very much #thelonelycoder. That done the trick.

I will make a donation.

Thank you very much #thelonelycoder. That done the trick.

I will make a donation.
I'm just glad you got your ad-blocking working again ;)
I have no idea why the update changed it.
A future AB update will add an empty line at the top as well, just to be sure 'foreign' scripts don't mess up my scripts.

Hello.

I'm using the list adsbegone! and in the Speedtest app for iOS at the end of the test it show advertising!

Strange with the list I'm using, do not you think?

b6f3d8c830375b6342e5c0b60ec2249e.jpg

Hello.

I'm using the list adsbegone! and in the Speedtest app for iOS at the end of the test it show advertising!

I don't think this ad is strange. They likely serve it from their own servers.
Plus, it's a lovely ad, not as abnoxious as others...

I never got any ads when using speedtest app on my phone with ab-solution....

I never got any ads when using speedtest app on my phone with ab-solution....
That might depend on what blocking file type is used.

It seems strange because adbsbegone is my list with other lists, and with my list the speedtest is clean on android.

Hello.

Just want to say that AB-Solution 3.6.5 makes it much better to understand email stats and help me a lot more about which devices might have a problem. I just got stats for the first time after the upgrade, and found one device which is in the top ten noisiest clients, which has ten out of ten of the most requested sites to be blocked(new feature of AB-Solution 3.6.5 that tell which websites in stats are blocked). I might tell the device's owner about this to check if sth is wrong. However, I wonder why does it use IP to create stats, shouldn't it be using MAC-address as IPs change over time? Half of the devices are shown as "Name-N/A", is that because it's the first week?

Just a feature suggestion, not that necessary, if the stats can tell which websites are ads and which are malicious, based on which host files are used to block it, would be great helping to make sure that if devices attempt malicious websites several times, we will be able to check it further. Or even better, add additional part saying which devices access malicious websites for how many times.

However, I wonder why does it use IP to create stats, shouldn't it be using MAC-address as IPs change over time? Half of the devices are shown as "Name-N/A", is that because it's the first week?
You are pushing the topic. Be happy to have the device name shown. If the router shows the name, then so does AB, and read the hint that AB can only know the device name if the router still has it stored somewhere at time of stats compiling.
Edit: Dnsmasq logs the IP address only, not the MAC address in the logfile. The MAC address is only available through the ipleases file on the router, the same file AB gets the devices name from.
Just a feature suggestion, not that necessary, if the stats can tell which websites are ads and which are malicious, based on which host files are used to block it, would be great helping to make sure that if devices attempt malicious websites several times, we will be able to check it further. Or even better, add additional part saying which devices access malicious websites for how many times.
Noted, no promise.

Last edited:
@all router stats users:
Some domains may be falsely marked as (blocked) in the stats report. I will push an update for the addon file as soon as time permits.

I really hoped this new version could work in AP mode, but seems like I have to wait a little more:

Error: Router is Access Point (AP) or Media Bridge mode,
AB-Solution cannot work in this mode.

I really hoped this new version could work in AP mode, but seems like I have to wait a little more:

It makes no sense to run AB-Solution in AP mode as you are not running a DNS server -- that is taken care of by the primary router.

Only the "Wireless router mode (Default)" runs Dnsmasq, in all the others it is not used.
Without it, AB-Solution cannot work as this is how AB works.
To make this clear: No AB version change will make that magically happen, the Dnsmasq Server running on the router is a requirement.

Could someone explain what is domain-needed in experimental settings ?

Also what is wanduck ?

Thanks.

I am using 'shooter40sw' blocking file.

Yesterday (with the previous version of AB-Solution) I opened the Youtube app of my Sony television. Actually, I have used the Youtube app of my TV only a few times so far. But anyway. At first I noticed some browser errors from my TV and couldn't open the app successfully or play youtube videos. I fixed the situation by following the log file and adding those blocked addresses to AB-Solution 3 whitelist:
Code:
14: googleads.g.doubleclick.net
15: s.youtube.com
16: www.googleadservices.com
17: pubads.g.doubleclick.net
18: pagead2.googlesyndication.com
19: securepubads.g.doubleclick.net

After that everything seemed to work okay.
edit: After using Youtube app a bit longer gotta add a few more lines to whitelist.txt (= lines 18 and 19, see above)

So, if you have problems with certain websites (or apps with certain devices of yours), you should check the blocked sites and maybe add some of them to whitelist.txt

Actually, after a bit more testing and using several apps of my Sony TV, I noticed the constant need to add lines to the whitelist. So, eventually I decided to exclude my television from ad blocking using these instructions by thelonelycoder:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...d-blocking-solution.35540/page-15#post-290921

This is how you exclude clients from ad blocking:
Go to /Parental Controls/DNS-Filtering/
- set 'Enable DNS-based Filtering' to ON
- set 'Global Filter Mode' to 'NO filtering'
- fill in 'Custom (user-defined) DNS 1' with, for example, Google's DNS 8.8.8.8
- select your client(s) in the Client List and set 'Filter Mode' 'Custom 1'
- click Apply

Now the client(s) in the Client list get the DNS from google and not from your router.

Could someone explain what is domain-needed in experimental settings ?

Also what is wanduck ?

Thanks.
Some queries by local clients for local clients name/IP are forwarded upstream as well, instead only local resolving by dnsmasq.
This may be the case if you have Apple devices in yor network.
You would see these in the log file as well as the stats (if they are frequent).

Forget Wanduck, latest Asuswrt-Merlin is free from the bug Asus introduced in some of their code.

Is it possible to get even more detail in the weekly 'Router Stats' email by increasing all of the 'Top 10' lists to 'Top 20' lists? Is this something that I can easily tweak myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.