What's new

Ability to bridge LAN with WAN and use DDNS with external IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glorifyday

New Around Here
It's my first post here, so hello everybody ;-).

First of all, I am impressed by the RMerlin's work!

I have just uploaded the latest beta Merlin FW to my new RT-N16. My intention was to use it as a secondary AP+switch (my gateway and primary AP is Linksys WAG200G), but I also planned to use the advanced features of custom firmware, like no-IP DDNS, OpenVPN, sshd and the optware.

If the router is put to the AP mode, most of the advanced features are inaccessible. On the other hand, if it is in the router mode, it complains that there is no Internet connection (although the Internet is accessible via the gateway), the DDNS client does not work and the WAN port is a different VLAN, so it is useless for me.

Is it possible to:
- detect the external IP and use it for the DDNS,
- bridge WAN port with LAN ports,
in the scenario that I am using?

If not, is it planned in the future releases?

It doesn't work, and there are no plan to change this at this time.

If your ISP is PPPoE, and you want to use the Asus router as your primary router, then you can put the WAG200G in to bridge mode only. And then you configure the Asus router for PPPoE. Obviously if you have PPPoA, that won't work.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Cab...ure-WAG200G-to-work-in-bridge-mode/td-p/68541

If you want to keep your WAG200G as primary router, then you can use router mode on Asus and cascade it LAN-to-WAN (use DMZ on WAG200G) or however you want to do it, but it shouldn't be complaining about not having internet if you have configured it properly. I guess you could try running the CD that came with it or check the Asus support site for some type of wizard. (I don't have an RT-N16 so I don't know what comes in the box).

It doesn't work, and there are no plan to change this at this time.
Thanks for your answer anyway ;-).

Could you please remind me if the entware and OpenVPN are available in the AP mode? I believe they aren't, but I cannot check it now easily...
This is the functionality that I need most...

jlake:
Thanks for your answer. I have PPPoA, so the first option is not possible, but I will take a closer look at the second one. I lack some knowledge for this (never used neither DMZ nor LAN-to-WAN cascade), but I will try to find something based on these keywords.
I generally don't like wizards, because I don't understand what they actually do ;-).

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer anyway ;-).

Could you please remind me if the entware and OpenVPN are available in the AP mode? I believe they aren't, but I cannot check it now easily...
This is the functionality that I need most...

Entware is functional, however that probably won't help you much even if you installed and manually configured OpeNVPN, since an AP isn't configured for routing traffic, which is needed for OpenVPN.

OK, thanks a lot.
Then I will have to stay with Tomato for some time and observe changes in your FW. Or try the options suggested by jlake.

Entware is functional, however that probably won't help you much even if you installed and manually configured OpeNVPN, since an AP isn't configured for routing traffic, which is needed for OpenVPN.
Wait!
I was using an OpenVPN server on my Synology NAS which obviously is not a router and it worked like a charm (but I do not want to keep the NAS running all the time)... why couldn't it work on the RT-N16?

Wait!
I was using an OpenVPN server on my Synology NAS which obviously is not a router and it worked like a charm (but I do not want to keep the NAS running all the time)... why couldn't it work on the RT-N16?

Different network topology. The NAS listens to traffic on a single interface, while the AP is more or less a bridge between wifi and the rest of the network. You will have to do quite a bit of manual network configuration through iptables to make it work - it won't just work out-of-the-box.

Thaks for clarification.
I would like to use your FW in the future, so I will keep an eye on what features you are adding.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!