What's new

About that flat black Ethernet patch cable that ships with Asus Routers ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Klueless

Very Senior Member
I had a "bad" one. Most likely it was a "one off" problem but ... maybe not? I liked that cable, looked nice, laid out neatly on the floor. I've used them elsewhere with no problems but, this time ...

I used it to connect a PC to the network. Works just fine except ... for this one ... local database application. There is a delay in connecting to the server, a delay of from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes.

After trying a plethora of ideas I swapped out the flat cable with a regular twisted CAT 5E cable. Problem's been gone for a couple of weeks now.

Again, it could have been a fluke. On the other hand maybe the flat cable just didn't have the same noise immunity as the old fashioned twisted cables? Just thought I'd throw it out there in case I'm not the only one?

I don't think I've used the cables that come with the routers for many years now (when/where possible).

I'd rather use an old/known cable instead.

When millions are made, there are bound to be defective examples everywhere. :)

the black cable that shipped with my AX88U wasn't flat, it was a normal ethernet cable.

the black cable that shipped with my AX88U wasn't flat, it was a normal ethernet cable.
Thanks. I think that's actually good to hear. Since flat is cheaper the change back to round might suggest "flat" wasn't the best choice? My cable path took me past three printer/copier/scanners, perhaps it really was noise related?

I did a search. Flat does have its fans but some prefer round for "longevity" and noise. Guess that's where I'll leave it for now.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think that's actually good to hear. Since flat is cheaper the change back to round might suggest "flat" wasn't the best choice? My cable path took me past three printer/copier/scanners, perhaps it really was noise related?

I did a search. Flat does have its fans but some prefer round for "longevity" and noise. Guess that's where I'll leave it for now.
I swap mine out for cat 7 cables as part of the initial set up process but one of them is a 10 meter flat cable. I think you just got a dud

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!