What's new

About to give up on EOP, any ideas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freebo

New Around Here
I've been using homeplugs for about 4 years now and always found them good but had problems with bandwidth, this was on 60 meg units, usually had problems with HD video and since we've moved house about 4 times in this period its been in a variety of homes.

3 months ago I bought two Netgear XAV501's and the difference was amazing, from buffering for 5 secs and every 30 mins to 1 sec at the start of playing an HD stream then perfect. BUT I noticed they'd loose connectivity with each other whenever I tried to move a large amount of data, the only fix is to power both off and on again which works for a while. My test case is copying a 20G file across them, they drop within 15 mins. So, before returning them I bought two Netcomm NP501's, these are even worse, don't hold a connection when copying data for more than a few mins. Before the dropped connection the Netgear utility shows about 100Mb/s after it says "no adaptors found". Funnily enough if just streaming video, even 1080P/3D they are more reliable, only dropping every day or so.

After resetting each pair (I only use 2 at a time) probably a 50 times in the last week I've had enough and am thinking about abandoning homeplugs, can anyone suggest anything???

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!