What's new

About to toss my CT8 (AC3000) units - any last salvation steps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shus

New Around Here
I went and bought the CT8 after seeing it recommended on Wirecutter, to say I'm disappointed is understatement. It is the least reliable WiFi router(s) system I have ever used - so much that after many experimentations I've simply set the router to reset every day at 4AM.

First, some details:

- 3 CT8 units (1 router, 2 nodes) with AiMesh - stock firmware, version: 3.0.0.4.386_23003
- Main unit is working in Router (DHCP) mode
- 2-story house
- Around ~45 connected clients at any given moment, most of them are Shelly 2.5 (IOT devices).
- Most rooms in house have CAT6/7 outlets.

In short, here are the two main issues I have, by frequency of occurrence:

- Guest Network has no internet connection, is not even visible, or cannot be joined: this is by far the most annoying one. Not only does the CT8 Mesh not broadcast the Guest Network to the nodes (something I can live with), the network itself is super unreliable. Clients connected to it will often have no internet access at all; when that happens and a client scans for WiFi networks, this Guest Network is either not visible at all, or visible - but joining it will be impossible.

What I tried based on similar threads :

- Turned off universal beamforming
- Turned off explicit beamforming
- Disabled airtime fairness
- Disabled Smart Connect
- Moved the network SSID from #1 to #2 (Asus offers to create several guest networks, each in its designated slot, this is what I mean by the #s)
- Lowered the Roaming Assistance cutoff to -55 (which I know isn't very relevant)

- Some clients lose connection to the main network, can never regain it until a restart ocurrs: don't know what to say about this really.
- Main network will often lose internet access, or become unresponsive: I've even had an issue once where clicking on "Reboot" from the iOS app or the web UI didn't have any effect, and had to shut down and re-power the main node.

Other than having the whole system restart nightly, which doesn't always work, or tossing these 3 units, what are my options? The guest network issue is the most common and annoying one.

- Most rooms in house have CAT6/7 outlets.

That would allow you to hardwire the units and run 2 of them in Access Point Mode which would likely be more reliable.

I gave up with this AiMesh nonsense and run 2x AX92Us in AP mode attached to a real router , never had any issue since.

Wired backhaul where possible is always better.

That would allow you to hardwire the units and run 2 of them in Access Point Mode which would likely be more reliable.

I gave up with this AiMesh nonsense and run 2x AX92Us in AP mode attached to a real router , never had any issue since.

Wired backhaul where possible is always better.

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid having to use AP mode since Mesh has its conveniences...

All units are using wired backhaul.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!