What's new

about using two routers (converter+wired router) with WIFI on WAN side

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

novice2019novice

New Around Here
I would like to ask a question about using intrusion prevention system (IPS) type feature of Asus Routers (say, RT-AC86U) in an environment where the internet connection is only available through wireless connection.
If I use the first router (say, RT-AC68U) in a converter mode, connect it to the internet through WIFI, connect LAN cable between any port of the first router (RT-AC68U) and WAN port of the second router (RT-AC86U), can I use the full feature (say, IPS) of the second router (RT-AC86U) for any devices connected to the LAN port of the second router?
The environment I have in mind is a hotel room or a college dorm where you cannot install a wired internet connection. I want to have a secure connection in such an environment.

In theory that should work. You would configure the first router (RT-AC68U) as a wireless Ethernet bridge, what Asus calls a "Media Bridge". Be aware that some establishments specifically try to block such a setup by altering the TTL.

Thank you. I will try and if it does not work, I can ask about TTL. I have a college dorm in mind but people who stay at the hotel should have the same security concern.
I wonder 1) if anyone has tried such a combination for other routers and 2) if there is any with wireless WAN.
I believe there are several travel routers but the WAN side is wired connection in most of the routers (and all the routers I know of).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!