What's new

AC-1900P on sale at Newegg

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I apologize if this type of post is not permitted. I saw this on Slickdeals today. $89 is a good price even if it is an old design, especially for the 1.4Mhz version.

Edit: the code does not work.

Last edited:
I apologize if this type of post is not permitted. I saw this on Slickdeals today. $89 is a good price even if it is an old design, especially for the 1.4Mhz version.

the 1900P has been our primary router for several years, i also recommend it.

Tried to use the slickdeals code. Newegg says "HMM... we can't seem to find promo code 93XQG85 on our end. Check again?" Otherwise you have to spend $139.99 with a $10.00 MIR. When reading the slickdeals forum posting(s) about this deal at least one other person complained that he couldn't use the promo code.

Last edited:
Tried to use the slickdeals code. Newegg says "HMM... we can't seem to find promo code 93XQG85 on our end. Check again?" Otherwise you have to spend $139.99 with a $10.00 MIR.
I also tried with the same result. I guess I should have tried before my original post. Maybe the moderator will delete the entire thread.

Doesn't Newegg require you to be on their mailing list in order to use their promo codes?

This version would certainly help VPN performance significantly compared to the 800MHz RT-AC68U, without having to dish out $200 or more for the latest/greatest routers. You could probably break even on the deal by dumping your old RT-AC68U on eBay.

Doesn't Newegg require you to be on their mailing list in order to use their promo codes?

This version would certainly help VPN performance significantly compared to the 800MHz RT-AC68U, without having to dish out $200 or more for the latest/greatest routers. You could probably break even on the deal by dumping your old RT-AC68U on eBay.
I have my old 68U [800MHz default] overclocked typically to 1200MHz, though it can stably go to 1400MHz (when I want to use OpenVPN on router). And Yes, overclocking does make a difference! The older 68U's can do this with the older Bootloader CFE's. The later versions have been locked.

ADD: I did just now sign up for a Newegg account. Couldn't find any reference to signing up for a mailing list. I tried the promo code. Same answer.

Last edited:
I have my old 68U [800MHz default] overclocked typically to 1200MHz, though it can stably go to 1400MHz (when I want to use OpenVPN on router). And Yes, overclocking does make a difference! The older 68U's can do this with the older Bootloader CFE's. The later versions have been locked.

And what about the temps? My RT-AC68U is already @ 81C. Active cooling required/recommended?

And what about the temps? My RT-AC68U is already @ 81C. Active cooling required/recommended?
I do use a small 40mm USB fan, rather amatuerishly scotch-taped to the right-side back of the router ;) which I bought on ebay specifically for this purpose.

The pic below is of my primary router (primary because is runs so cool) My other 68U (backup only when I pull my primary) runs with the same exact configuration about 10-12C hotter.

Attachments

• Web capture_11-2-2021_102636_192.168.44.1.jpeg
    Web capture_11-2-2021_102636_192.168.44.1.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I do use a small 40mm USB fan, rather amatuerishly scotch-taped to the right-side back of the router ;) which I bought on ebay specifically for this purpose.

The pic below is of my primary router (primary because is runs so cool) My other 68U (backup only when I pull my primary) runs with the same exact configuration about 10-12C hotter.

Thanks. As it happens, I'm running the 1.0.2.0 CFE as well. But never bothered to OC. Just makes me nervous, esp. anything like 1.4Ghz (yikes!). But I was aware of some users up'ing to 1GHz. At least your temps are under control (64C). Seems it doesn't take much in the way of active cooling on this router to make a big difference, even a hackish design.

Thanks. As it happens, I'm running the 1.0.2.0 CFE as well. But never bothered to OC. Just makes me nervous, esp. anything like 1.4Ghz (yikes!). But I was aware of some users up'ing to 1GHz. At least your temps are under control (64C). Seems it doesn't take much in the way of active cooling on this router to make a big difference, even a hackish design.

I did some extensive testing using @ironclad's well-thought out method to safely OC.

When I unwisely tried to OC my router to 1600MHz and it failed to boot, @ironclad's method allowed for a quick recovery.

But, of course, your mileage may vary. Best to read extensively others experience(s) and what to do if things go south.

Edit: the code does not work.
That was one of Newegg's Deal of the Day items yesterday. Unfortunately you have to snag it that day to get the special price.

I did some extensive testing using @ironclad's well-thought out method to safely OC.

When I unwisely tried to OC my router to 1600MHz and it failed to boot, @ironclad's method allowed for a quick recovery.

But, of course, your mileage may vary. Best to read extensively others experience(s) and what to do if things go south.

Great info. However, I have to add. Yes, more processing power helps, but it's NOT primarily to the benefit of encryption. That's a common myth (at least based on my own extensive testing).

Not that it matters in the long run. Either way, the only solution to better OpenVPN performance (or any other VPN relegated to user-space) is raw CPU horsepower, however you can get it.

Great info. However, I have to add. Yes, more processing power helps, but it's NOT primarily to the benefit of encryption. That's a common myth (at least based on my own extensive testing).
OC'ing does help with VPNs that you run using the 68U/vpn client mode marginally but noticeably. At 800MHz it's less than 17Mbps, at 1400MHz it's just over 30Mbps. Still not great if you can't make full use of your bandwidth (mine being 100Mbps down and most people's bandwidth being so much higher)

I personally seldom use the 68U's VPN features. Better to use a much more powerful desktop CPU and VPN app to run VPN client.
Not that it matters in the long run. Either way, the only solution to better OpenVPN performance (or any other VPN relegated to user-space) is raw CPU horsepower, however you can get it.
The 68U doesn't have onboard AES-NI (which DOES primarily benefit encryption) so yes, this poor man's router does the best it can with encryption and does it marginally better OC'ed. If you want a router that is great for Asus VPNing try the RT-AC86U which does have onboard AES-NI, and will probably help you use Merlin's Asus' OpenVPN server/client using near your max paid bandwidth.

Last edited: