1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC-3100 vs AC-88U

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by BamaInArk, Apr 15, 2019.

1. BamaInArk

BamaInArk New Around Here

I'm looking to upgrade my current router, which works well I might add. The Netgear just leaves a little to be desired in some of the features that the Asus line offers. Desire the 4G sharing option.

I don't think I really have a need for a Tri-band router so looking at choosing between the 3100 and 88U(I like the 8 ethernet ports over the 86U).

Is either one especially better than the other? AFAICT the 88U shows Link Aggregation, which I might make use of in the future, whereas the 3100 does not show that as an option other wise they seem very similar.

2. Mutzli

Mutzli Senior Member

Spend the extra money and get the RT-AX88U. I just replaced my RT-AC86U with a second RT-AX88U since it is a much better router than the RT-AC88U. I bought an open box one from Amazon for $212.00. It was missing the manuals and CD. Everything else was included and looked brand new.

BTW. the AC-3100 and AC88U are the same router.

3. BamaInArk

BamaInArk New Around Here

If I could find one for $212 I'd jump on that. Cheapest one now is over $300

4. Mutzli

Mutzli Senior Member

Keep on eye on it, they offer frequent open box deals at varying price points depending on what's missing from the original packing.

5. Poseidon

Poseidon Senior Member

Does Merlin support the AX88U?

6. Striker317

Striker317 Regular Contributor

7. sone

sone Occasional Visitor

Just a little clarification the AC-88U has 8 LAN ports. The AC-3100 has only 4.