What's new

AC-5300 Guest Network & Airprint Printers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steven Happek

New Around Here
I have a client (auto dealership) that we've install an AC-5300 to broadcast an employee secured network (hidden); and have enable the guest network for customers to hop on while in the showroom. With more and more mobile devices we now have then need to allow customers to print to airprint printers that are connected only to the guest network. This only works for about 3 minutes AFTER the router is restarted. This to me shows that for that brief period of time multicasting hasn't been turned off on the guest network, or that the VLAN isn't quite isolated yet. Is there anything that can be done to have airprint printers on the guest network??? (FIRMWARE: 380.65)

to allow this you would need to de isolate the guest wifi and thats not going to be a very good solution as in guest wifi the connected device should be completely isolated from any other device on the wlan / lan

if you want that facility i would be looking at vlan and a separate wifi router for the guest wifi

btw hiding the employee secured network is pretty useless as a security measure and can and will cause connectivity issues with some clients

reference

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/

AirPrint, by design, needs to be on the same sub-network - so with the Guest WLAN, this is a different subnet..