What's new

AC-68U 5 GHz wifi does not go over 5 MB download speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmt

Occasional Visitor
Hi fellow Asus-Merlin users, I have recently stumbled into this issue. I have my NAS linked to the AC-68U running the last Merlin version 384.5, via 2x1Gb lan cables, to the same router there is a pc linked via 1 Gb lan and several devices via wifi, phone, tv, laptop. The laptop has an intel dual ac8625 wifi module with latest win 10 and latest version of intel drivers 20.60.0 . I recall that some time ago my download speed from the NAS over the 5 GHz wifi ssid was somewhere around 50-70 MB which was satisfactory for me as the laptop was one room away ~6-8 meters and having a 10 cm brick or concrete wall in between. As it happened, I downloaded a big file on the laptop and was shocked to see the wifi speed of max 5 MB. I checked with Inssider as I thought that maybe the channel got overcrowded so I had to move it, and saw the max rate being 54 Mb. Strange as the wifi properties shows the adapter connected at 866 Mbps
wifi2.jpg
I am not sure if this wifi issue is caused by the latest Win 10 update or what is the problem. If I change to the same ssid over 2.4 GHz I get 450 Mb Max rate and indeed downloading the same file is fatser as it gets speeds between 10-13 MB. If I do a speedtest via 5 Ghz I get around 10 MB download speed so it is a bit puzzling from where the NAS download limitation comes from. If I am downloading the same 3-4 Gb file via lan from the PC I get constant speeds of 100 MB so the NAS is not in question. The 5Ghz sits alone with no overlapping channel as you can see from the picture. It is the laptop driver, it is the win 10 update? Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

Best regards

you mean Intel 8265 (not 8625) ?

Have it too and with -70dBi get 180Mb/s.

Change channel to 36 with 80MHz bandwith and wireless mode auto or N/AC mixed.
Delete WiFi driver on laptop WITH DELETE DRIVER and make new installation of Intel drivers that it will get default values.

Save your settings of 86U and make factory reset and settings from scratch. Maybe WiFi prof-settings got somehow changed.
If it works good, if not you can go back and reload your saved settings.

Hi, you are right, I switched the numbers by mistake. it is 8265. Sooo, i did change to 80MHz, and N/AC mixed but left the channel to auto as it seems it manages to get a free channel more often than I set it. I did not want to mess up yet with the router settings, by the way here are my 5 Ghz professional settings. I recall that I've changed and set to "Enabled" the following settings: "Enable IGMP Snooping", " AMPDU RTS" and " Optimize AMPDU Aggregation"
Capture.JPG

But what I did on the laptop side I have uninstalled the Intel ProSet and left just the drivers. Then I've started to downgrade the drivers and although the in Inssider GUI is still detected as AC and "Max rate = 54" the speed improved to 35-38 MB, this was with the drivers downgraded to 20.50.0.
Then downgraded again to 19.50.1.6 = 28-30 MB but the speed varied quite a lot while downloading, while with the previous one was more steady.
then 17.05.0 and the speed was a bit worse 25-28 MB. The signal strength was with all drivers ~ 50.
So for the moment I stay with 20.50.0, although now Intel prompts me at every reboot that there is an new driver available :)
Unless you have some suggestions about the professional settings I will keep meddling with the laptop drivers for the time being. Thanks for help!

Best regards

Bit of a long shot but is this wireless NIC something you bought and installed yourself?

now try install newest 20.0.60 again, works good for me.
only driver not additional features offered by intel setup (choose manual configure).
first time you deinstalled all was with 17.05.0, thats Microsoft default driver for this card!

Auto channel doesnt work well, better choose fixed channel, for 80MHz either 36, 52, 100, 116, 132 or 149, depending what you get offered and look which one performs best for you. If none is really better you can set auto again if you like.
You can take them all as long as next SSID is -20dB lower than yours pretty very good.

And try newer Asuswrt 21045, dont think you really need merlin, you can go back every time if you like.
And save your configs, so change is done very fast.

Last edited:
Bit of a long shot but is this wireless NIC something you bought and installed yourself?
Hi, it is the one that came with the laptop.

now try install newest 20.0.60 again, works good for me.
only driver not additional features offered by intel setup (choose manual configure).
first time you deinstalled all was with 17.05.0, thats Microsoft default driver for this card!

Auto channel doesnt work well, better choose fixed channel, for 80MHz either 36, 52, 100, 116, 132 or 149, depending what you get offered and look which one performs best for you. If none is really better you can set auto again if you like.
You can take them all as long as next SSID is -20dB lower than yours pretty very good.

And try newer Asuswrt 21045, dont think you really need merlin, you can go back every time if you like.
And save your configs, so change is done very fast.

I updated to 20.0.60 but saw no significant improvement. I tried each channel you recommended but I experienced usually no real improvement over auto, what I could see is that while on auto (usually getting channel 36 or 44) the download was more linear, around a constant 30 MB while on the other it was hovering between 28-32 MB max.

Regarding going back to Asus one, I honestly really like Merlin , :) it was more stable and provided features on times when Asus one was really crappy. I will check it out anyway probably. Thanks for help!

Best regards