What's new

AC-68U - Slow clientside VPN via Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daniel Dirksen

New Around Here
So I am in the middle of testing Microsoft's Always On VPN solution for my work, on the client (not the router).

With my home AC-68U VPN performance is drastically worse over Wifi then LAN.

Generic internet speed tests (no VPN) on the device comparing the 2 is what I would consider expected, less consistent and slightly slower on wifi. 220-270 Mbps vs 250-300 Mbps.

File transfers over the Win10 built in MS IKE VPN client is averaging 10 MB/s on LAN and 1 MB/s on Wifi.

I updated the firmware (Asus) and reset to default, changed SSID, disabled some features like beaming.

This did improve performance (to 1.3 MB/s) but still seems to be much to low compared to LAN.

Any thoughts/tweaks? Still need to test other factors, but this behavior suggests an issue with ASUS wifi to some degree (suppose the clientside wifi driver as well).

The only settings that appeared obvious was the WAN\Nat Passthrough options, all are enabled (IPSec I would expect to be required) except PPoE.

Thank you for your suggestions...

Dan

I don't know why but in my experience if your network throughput is being restricted in some way then it appears to adversely effect WiFi clients much more then LAN clients. So rather than thinking about the WiFi throughput I'd try to work out why the LAN connection is only achieving 80Mbps on a 300Mpbs line.

I updated the firmware (Asus) and reset to default, changed SSID, disabled some features like beaming.
I don't remember what the ASUS defaults are for QoS. For your test, make sure QoS is off - to eliminate that as the source of any wired and wireless throttling.
Also, disable Airtime Fairness in 2.4 and 5GHz Wireless / Professional.

And if you want to compare Wifi to LAN you need to set LAN to half duplex first! Wifi can be half only per definition!

Thanks everyone...

Ronald - Did confirm QoS etc was disabled...

Grisu - Thanks for the tip, wasn't really expecting exact parity. 10% seemed extremely low. Will certainly remember for more detailed perf testing.

I did more testing comparing other VPN tech we have in production. Results were interesting but the MS ike tunnel was at the bottom via Wifi.

It is starting to look like a chipset/driver/OS/config issue. An older laptop model looks to be doing better in limited testing while results on my original test laptop are similar across different networks. I did update the driver but looks like the chip might have issues on newer Win10 builds. Starting down this road for troubleshooting. Found a few posts of driver downgrades resolving...

So it for sure is a chip/driver issue. HP 840 G3 with intel AC 8260. Co-worker used a usb adapter with much better results...

Thanks everyone for your time

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!