What's new

AC-68U Support Future

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dbqandersons

New Around Here
First of all, wanna thank @RMerlin for all of the blood, sweat, and tears put into this project. I have been running it since I got my RC-68U about five or so years ago. Solid interface, great features, and an all around great package.

Speaking of five or so years ago, I see that the the AC-68U is now at or near the bottom of the supported unit list. Does anyone (perhaps @RMerlin specifically) have a gut feeling as to how much longer it will be supported on this project? If the "writing is on the wall," I'd like to start prepping and router shopping now. Whatever I get next, I'll probably get two and run a mesh to better cover our house.

Not looking for any definite dates to hold anyone to just a ball park guess if anyone has one.

Cheers,

Bill Anderson

No definitive answer here, but some hints perhaps: the recent official Asus release Version 3.0.0.4.386.43129 for the RT-AC68U more than doubled in size. When this subject was brought up in that thread, it was explained that this contained two firmware images, including one for a new (upcoming) hardware revision of this router. That would seem to indicate that it will be supported for quite a bit longer, who knows how long exactly.

First of all, wanna thank @RMerlin for all of the blood, sweat, and tears put into this project. I have been running it since I got my RC-68U about five or so years ago. Solid interface, great features, and an all around great package.

Speaking of five or so years ago, I see that the the AC-68U is now at or near the bottom of the supported unit list.
As there is no such model as the RC-68U or AC-68U I'm going to assume you're talking about the RT-AC68U. I don't see it at the bottom of the supported list.

In terms of the number of weekly firmware downloads the RT-AC68U is still the most popular by a significant margin. So I don't think Merlin will be dropping support for it anytime soon. It's likely he'll keep supporting it until Asus makes it EOL.

Untitled.png

Obviously @RMerlin can speak for himself, but on the face of it, given they are *still* producing this router, so much so, they released v3 in 2020 (at least according to wikidevi), I'm w/ @ColinTaylor; I can't see it being dropped anytime soon. Seems to me this reflects its wide, continuing appeal. Not everyone needs the latest/greatest. I tend to worry once production has ceased for several years.

Thanks for all of the replies. All of the errors are what I get for trying to do this on my phone.

Yes, I was referring to the RT-AC68U. And it's good to know that it's still being produced and sold as a V3. Looks like I have a V2 right now based on the FCC ID (MSQ-RTAC68UV2). Unless something drastic happens, I might be good for a while. Guess that fact that it looked to be one of the lowest model numbers supported spooked me a little.

Thanks again for the replies.

Bill

As per RMerlin, RT-AC68U is still the main test platform for Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. As per number of downloads after new Asuswrt-Merlin firmware release, it's still the most popular Asus router (and its variants). Asus is still selling new RT-AC68U V3 routers and I see a new V4 is mentioned here and there. RT-AC66U B1 is the same hardware platform and available everywhere. I personally don't expect it to be EOL any soon.

AC68U is almost 30% all RMerlin soft downloads still. This router is good enough for internet connection 300Mbit and below what is 90%+ all home internet speed globally.
I personally have 3 of them and do not see any reason to upgrade it. With new products very often you see same bugs etc and I need stable internet. The only time my net is down for short time when I upgrade firmware in router (this is the only situation I had from 2013 when I purchase those routers.). I prefer to give this money to charity.

if Asus will not stop to manufacture it and will not push for RMerlin to stop support it in my opinion we should see support for this product for very long time.

@dbqandersons I just log at https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ and for me (I am using SRWare Iron (64-Bit) web browser) is on the top of supporting device list (Last update: 04-Aug-2021) :)

I know what is difference between firmware and software but not everyone will understood firm and firmware take to much time to write. Please feel free to correct me or use bot for it. We will see who have more patient. It is like you want to strike more posts.

This router is good enough for internet connection 300Mbit and below

This router does 60MB/sec over Wi-Fi to common 2-stream client. You do the math up to what ISP speed it is good for. What may hold it back is enabling TrendMicro features. I would trade TrendMicro for speed and reliability.