What's new

AC-86U How to VPN Server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MaLu

New Around Here
I have a Asus Blue Cave wireless router connected to my modem and would like connect an Asus AC-86U to the Blue Cave to be my VPN server. How can I set both routers up so that I can login to the AC-86U VPN router from outside? Thank you

I have a Asus Blue Cave wireless router connected to my modem and would like connect an Asus AC-86U to the Blue Cave to be my VPN server. How can I set both routers up so that I can login to the AC-86U VPN router from outside? Thank you
I would connect AC86U to modem and Blue Cave (if you still need it) to AC86U. Not familiar with Blue Cave to tell you how to configure.

The RT-AC86U is a far more capable router than the Blue Cave, I would also use that as your primary router.

If you double NAT the AC86 behind your Blue Cave if will be extremly difficult (impossible??) to get the server working on the AC86.

As others have suggested put the AC86 first and run the VPN server on it and then either use the Blue Cave as an AP or Double Nat it behind the AC86.

It's possible to use the OpenVPN server from a second router (I did it for a customer who needed a VPN server behind his locked down Bell router/modem), it's just not optimal in this particular case.

It's possible to use the OpenVPN server from a second router (I did it for a customer who needed a VPN server behind his locked down Bell router/modem), it's just not optimal in this particular case.

Good to know as when I have tried I never got it functioning. I didn't spend a lot of time as really didn't have a reason to use it.

Good to know as when I have tried I never got it functioning. I didn't spend a lot of time as really didn't have a reason to use it.

I don't remember the details because it's been two or three years since I've configured this for a customer. The customer had moved to India for work, and wanted to still get access to Canadian geolocked content. I set up the router so he'd go through his son's Internet connection here to access that geolocked content.

With newer firmware releases, you'd probably need to set this as allowing LAN + Internet access (since the real LAN would actually be on the WAN side of that second router). This is untested however.

When I have a chance I will give it a try on my secondary experimental network.

It has been several years since I tried to set up a server and I remember that when I tried to do it previously using the GUI I got a message that no can do since the double NATed router didn't have a routable WAN IP.

Thanks again for your suggestions on how to implement.

When I have a chance I will give it a try on my secondary experimental network.

It has been several years since I tried to set up a server and I remember that when I tried to do it previously using the GUI I got a message that no can do since the double NATed router didn't have a routable WAN IP.

Thanks again for your suggestions on how to implement.

It might complain but it should be fine. I've regularly do it here when testing things within my LAN. However since Asus now has a closed-source OpenVPN implementation, maybe they've changed that since then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!