What's new

AC Routers (Canada)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which router should I buy?

• ASUS RT-AC68U (refurb) - $100

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Netgear R7000 - $170

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ASUS RT-AC1900P - $190

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASUS RT-AC3100 (refurb) - $225

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

ACBlank

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I've been using a TP Link Archer C7 (V2) for about 2.5 years, and I've started experiencing some issues (wireless strength/range, DHCP problems, speed issues). Running stock firmware. I'm thinking it might be time for an upgrade, and I've narrowed it down to the Netgear R7000 or the ASUS RT-AC* series.

Here's the pricing breakdown in my area (in CAD):
  • ASUS RT-AC68U (refurb) - $100+tax (Newegg, includes $50 coupon)
  • Netgear R7000 - $170+tax (BestBuy, sale price until 2/2/2017, includes $10 store credit that I have)
  • ASUS RT-AC1900P - $190+tax (BestBuy, sale price until 2/2/2017, includes $10 store credit that I have)
  • ASUS RT-AC3100 (refurb) - $225+tax (Newegg, includes $15 coupon)
Can anyone convince me the RT-AC68U isn't the best value for performance at that price, or that I shouldn't be buying a refurb?

EDIT:
Should probably give you an idea of my usage:

Internet service is 100D/10U.

I'm in a ~1100 sq.ft apartment, older building with a whole lot of concrete.

I've got NAS and VOIP wired to the router, and everything else over WiFi - a smart TV, 2 Chromecasts, 3 smartphones, 3 laptops, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
Can anyone convince me the RT-AC68U isn't the best value for performance at that price, or that I shouldn't be buying a refurb?

refurb is fine as long as it comes with the same standard warranty as a brand new unit

the ac68u is the best choice in the 1900ac class mainly due to its firmware and gui feature set , the rp-1900ac is the same as the 68u just a faster cpu i believe

however both the above are still 1300M on 5 gig which also was your archer v2

so i have voted for the rp-ac3100 as its a step up in class as well as performance , i would even go as far as saying look at the asus rt-ac88u if available as its extra ethernet ports and link bonding and extra features give it even functionality

pete

I like the idea of the extra ethernet ports on the AC88u, but it doesn't look like it's available in Canada yet. Other than the extra ethernet, it looks like the specs are identical to the AC3100. Is it really worth $125 over the AC68U for my usage?

I've been using a TP Link Archer C7 (V2) for about 2.5 years, and I've started experiencing some issues (wireless strength/range, DHCP problems, speed issues)

Find a new power supply - you're right in the window where many power adapters start to go, for lack of a better word, soft... under load they drop voltage/current, and hence instability.

You're at a good point with the Archer-C7 - just replace the adapter... which is a lot cheaper than a new device.

Find a new power supply - you're right in the window where many power adapters start to go, for lack of a better word, soft... under load they drop voltage/current, and hence instability.

You're at a good point with the Archer-C7 - just replace the adapter... which is a lot cheaper than a new device.

+1, I have a Huawei HG612 DSL modem, for 50/10 connection, I need to replace its 12v DC 0.7a power supply with a 12V DC 1.5a power supply to have stable connections otherwise it will drop and resync.

i have suggestions that arent in your list. both ubiquiti and mikrotik have good wifi APs. Infact if all you need is 1 port for WAN, 1 port for LAN and wifi than mikrotik has you covered as they have a wifi AP with SFP, gigabit ethernet, mini PCIe, embedded AC wifi for $80.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!