What's new

AC-RT5300 1Gig WAN Throughput Errors

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Russ741

New Around Here
Good Day RMerlin team,

I have an RT5300 connected to Verizon FIOS 1024/1024 Mbps via CAT6 direct to the ONT. On the LAN side I have several hardwired devices and a few WiFi devices. Since upgrading to the 1G/1G pipe I have been experiencing odd behavior from the router, doesn't matter if I use stock firmware or RMerlin, same problem. The router will run flawlessly for some random period of time then either the downstream or upstream (never both) will suddenly drop in throughput. For example: Test with hardwired PC 975/855 (dw/up) Mbps. 30 min later same PC, 30/1024 (dw/up) Mbps. Rebooting the router normally fixes it, sometimes makes it worse and several reboots are required. I have the auto reboot set for daily at 0500, that doesn't seem to fix it.

ASUS support wants me to get a new router, which could be the issue but I wanted to ask the smart guys/gals first.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Russ

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem or ONT?
There are some WAN port settings that you can check on. Something about handshaking I believe. I'll see if I can't find more info here.

I would try another router, meaning if you have a local store with same model that has a good refund policy, I'd try another one out and see if the problem exists there, if not, then it could be your current router HW.

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem or ONT?
There are some WAN port settings that you can check on. Something about handshaking I believe. I'll see if I can't find more info here.

I would try another router, meaning if you have a local store with same model that has a good refund policy, I'd try another one out and see if the problem exists there, if not, then it could be your current router HW.
The ONT (Optical Network Termination) is just a media converter (Fiber to Copper) I don't think there is any handshaking going on there. But that said, there is a handshake going on with the VZ router upstream so if you can find those notes it would be much appreciated.
Also, I got word from ASUS yesterday that they are RMAing my router, so we shall see if it is a hardware issue or a config issue.

Whats the make and model # of the router up stream? If you have a router there, then there can be issues with having two routers online. Do you have access to this router? If so, you might put the 5300s IP address it gets from this router in to this routers DMZ and do some testing. This will help and any upstream router processing thats not needed. Even if your RT is working or not. You can test this out more by even using the RT router in LAN to LAN AP mode and test speeds.

What was your previous router? Did you have this router on the same ISP network?

I looked at my router and of course I don't see the items I was looking for. Mines a older model. :oops:
Can you look under WAN advanced settings and tell me what you have listed here? I can't remember the full item name however it has something to do with aggressive and normal handshaking with modems.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!