What's new

AC1900 First Look: NETGEAR R7000 & ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsbuss

Tim,

Thanks so much for posting your first-look review of the R7000 and RT-AC68U. I recently returned my AC66R b/c I wanted USB 3.0 connectivity for network backup of my MBL-NAS (since it does not have an attached USB). After reading your review I see the R7000 has a significant read/write advantage over the AC68U.

I just wonder how ASUS can address both the 2.4ghz and USB 3.0 deficiencies with just a f/w fix? Especially since you could not get a clean run with the 3.0 enabled in the GUI.

I just wonder how ASUS can address both the 2.4ghz and USB 3.0 deficiencies with just a f/w fix? Especially since you could not get a clean run with the 3.0 enabled in the GUI.
I don't think I said that they could fix the USB 3.0 problem with firmware. I think that takes either a hardware fix (proper shielding). It's also possible that USB 3.0 will work with a different drive with other cabling. But it didn't pass with the same setup I use for other products and the one used for the R7000.

I don't think I said that they could fix the USB 3.0 problem with firmware. I think that takes either a hardware fix (proper shielding). It's also possible that USB 3.0 will work with a different drive with other cabling. But it didn't pass with the same setup I use for other products and the one used for the R7000.

Yep makes sense. Sad b/c I like Asus and my recent netgear experience is less than stellar.

Why are you even looking at AC1900 (vs. AC1200)?

Why are you even looking at AC1900 (vs. AC1200)?

For best wireless range today, and future AC devices. What AC1200 would you recommend? I need good 5ghz coverage for media streaming and 2.4ghz for my other connected devices.

when in bridge mode, the router should tell you the connect rate.

the router that is set as the bright (client) will get a different IP address, and if you go to that IP address, then log in, and then go to the advanced tab, you will see the connect rate.

I am not sure how netgear messed the 2.4GHz up this time but they are extremely overzealous when it comes to crippling the 2.4GHz if you do not disable the 20/40 MHz Coexistence in the advanced wifi settings.

from my experience, even a hint of 2.4GHz noise or the slightest indication of another wifi network being seen= 20/40 MHz Coexistence getting it's trollface on and ruining your day.

I do not have a r7000 yet (will probably buy one), but with my r6300 v2, bridge mode shows the connection rate on a different router page on a different IP address.

Getting 256QAM may require you to disable 20/40 MHz Coexistence on both routers.

here is a screenshot of the status page (have the r6300v2 router connecting to an old N300 router that is stuck in trollface 20/40MHz mode)
http://i.imgur.com/luLAL2q.jpg

Last edited:
For best wireless range today, and future AC devices.
This really isn't true. Router class establishes only a possible performance range. Router design is the biggest influence on actual performance.

Look at these plots of three top routers: one AC1750, one AC1200 and one N900. Keep in mind all results are with an AC1750 client that can link at the top rates that each will support. So performance differences are primarily related to router. Pay special attention to the throughput at the higher attenuation values. Higher throughput there indicates better range.

This 2.4 GHz downlink plot shows an N900 router beating the pants off both AC products.

This 2,4 GHz uplink plot again shows the N900 being the best for range.

This 5 GHz downlink plot shows AC throughput advantage primarily at stronger signal levels (lower attenuation values). At lower signal levels, the N900 and AC1750 router performance looks more and more similar.

Finally, this 5 GHz uplink plot again shows similar performance for AC1750 and N900 products at low signal levels.

One day, I'll have to do a special study using a 2x2 (N300) client to see what the curves look like. My guess is that the flat parts of the curve (high to moderate signal level) will be very similar (limited by the client device that can't take advantage of higher link rates). Then you'll be able to clearly see what throughput looks like as link rates fall back to sub-AC rates at low signal levels.

What AC1200 would you recommend? I need good 5ghz coverage for media streaming and 2.4ghz for my other connected devices.
I let the Charts and Rankers do the talking for recommendations.

Higher class doesn't necessarily mean better performance!

when in bridge mode, the router should tell you the connect rate.

the router that is set as the bright (client) will get a different IP address, and if you go to that IP address, then log in, and then go to the advanced tab, you will see the connect rate.

I am not sure how netgear messed the 2.4GHz up this time but they are extremely overzealous when it comes to crippling the 2.4GHz if you do not disable the 20/40 MHz Coexistence in the advanced wifi settings.

from my experience, even a hint of 2.4GHz noise or the slightest indication of another wifi network being seen= 20/40 MHz Coexistence getting it's trollface on and ruining your day.

I do not have a r7000 yet (will probably buy one), but with my r6300 v2, bridge mode shows the connection rate on a different router page on a different IP address.

Getting 256QAM may require you to disable 20/40 MHz Coexistence on both routers.
I'm not sure which product(s) you are referring to. In the R7000 there is no way to see link rate. In the RT-AC68U, I didn't see an obvious way. But I didn't have a second one to set up as a bridge. By the way, the ASUS supports only WDS bridge, not client bridge, correct?

NETGEAR said there is no way to see link rate of the bridged connection on the R7000.

I'm not taking your 40 MHz coexistence troll bait...

This really isn't true. Router class establishes only a possible performance range. Router design is the biggest influence on actual performance.

Look at these plots of three top routers: one AC1750, one AC1200 and one N900. Keep in mind all results are with an AC1750 client that can link at the top rates that each will support. So performance differences are primarily related to router. Pay special attention to the throughput at the higher attenuation values. Higher throughput there indicates better range.

This 2.4 GHz downlink plot shows an N900 router beating the pants off both AC products.

This 2,4 GHz uplink plot again shows the N900 being the best for range.

This 5 GHz downlink plot shows AC throughput advantage primarily at stronger signal levels (lower attenuation values). At lower signal levels, the N900 and AC1750 router performance looks more and more similar.

Finally, this 5 GHz uplink plot again shows similar performance for AC1750 and N900 products at low signal levels.

One day, I'll have to do a special study using a 2x2 (N300) client to see what the curves look like. My guess is that the flat parts of the curve (high to moderate signal level) will be very similar (limited by the client device that can't take advantage of higher link rates). Then you'll be able to clearly see what throughput looks like as link rates fall back to sub-AC rates at low signal levels.

I let the Charts and Rankers do the talking for recommendations.

Higher class doesn't necessarily mean better performance!

Thanks for making it easier to understand.

I'm not sure which product(s) you are referring to. In the R7000 there is no way to see link rate. In the RT-AC68U, I didn't see an obvious way. But I didn't have a second one to set up as a bridge. By the way, the ASUS supports only WDS bridge, not client bridge, correct?

NETGEAR said there is no way to see link rate of the bridged connection on the R7000.

I'm not taking your 40 MHz coexistence troll bait...

Sorry about the 40MHz, it is just one of the few things on modern routers that annoys me :)

For the link rate, I was referring to the R6300v2, it will report the link rate when in bridge mode. It is strange that they would remove it in the r7000.

Anyway, does the R7000 offer any webUI page at all (when the host router assigns the bridge router that is on "use other operation mode " an IP address, you can usually enter that IP in your browser and then see a bunch of stats on the bridge, and 1 of the items should be the connection rate.

Did they completely get rid of those status pages?

Anyway, does the R7000 offer any webUI page at all (when the host router assigns the bridge router that is on "use other operation mode " an IP address, you can usually enter that IP in your browser and then see a bunch of stats on the bridge, and 1 of the items should be the connection rate.

Did they completely get rid of those status pages?
I didn't extensively check. I had to be on the bridge router admin in order to connect. I didn't see any information when i connected. And, again, I asked NETGEAR, who said there was no way to see the link rate in the admin GUI.

Does that mean if I'm intending to use the router as a NAS via USB 3.0, that I should just go with the R7000?
What's the best way to reach ASUS for a proper response regarding the bad performance for the USB 3.0 throughput?

I had the AC56U and I just returned it because in my townhouse, the signal range is not nearly as good as the AC68U I just set up yesterday.

Thanks for the review!

yep, that pretty much sucks, I am just hoping that they didn't completely get rid of the bridge status page because not only will it make it hard to get the router out of bridge mode without using the reset button, but it will make it difficult to at least see the connection uptime.

Even if they did not add the link rate status, having the other connection info is still useful.

Wanted to also add that for USB 3, the interference can be reduced by using a layer of the PCB that is in between 2 ground planes, and guard traces around the entire data path to the USB controller.

Last edited:
Does that mean if I'm intending to use the router as a NAS via USB 3.0, that I should just go with the R7000?
That what I would conclude.

What's the best way to reach ASUS for a proper response regarding the bad performance for the USB 3.0 throughput?
I don't know the best way. But I know they monitor the ASUS forums here. A post in the ASUS AC Routers & Adapters forum should do.[/quote]

Wanted to also add that for USB 3, the interference can be reduced by using a layer of the PCB that is in between 2 ground planes, and guard traces around the entire data path to the USB controller.

And who is going to do all that? Asus will have to address it in a future hardware release. Shame because I hate where Netgear placed the 3.0 port on their R7000

Great review. Very helpful too since I was intent on buying asus over netgear and a 1900 router before.

Netgear routers force you to use dyndns for your DDNS server is that right? Whereas asus gives you your own DDNS name? I really wanted that.

Does either one allow for automatic spin down of a usb connected hard drive (willing to install non-native firmware)?

If I decide to use a NAS over a usb 3.0 connected harddrive for a backup/sharing device I think I'll get the 1200ac asus thanks to you.

OK, well, I was chomping at the bit to get a new router trying various ones. I finally got this after what I feel is a good review of the router. And I must say it is a good router. Web pages are very snappy, and gaming is really, really smooth. There is a nice feature with the R7000 that I think is a good deal worth mentioning it had integral VPN support via Open VPN. Overall the initial impression and ability is really pleasing.

The only negative though, is what I notice with this generation of Broadcom wireless chips or the amps in use. They chirp and screech when wireless is in use. I have sensitive hearing and I actually returned a Linksys because it was soooo audible. This is audible too but not as much. But the speed that you can feel with this router is amazingly different. I have not tested USB transfers yet but I think Higgin's results speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!