What's new

AC1900 upgrade from 384 to 386_3_2 problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fbicknel

Occasional Visitor
I just upgraded my long-running AC1900 using the AC68U 386.3_2 code (Aug 6 21:47:27 2021). The router "works", but the web access doesn't work anymore. For several minutes, I got nothing but timeouts (failed to connect). Then as I came here to look for help and time passed, I refreshed and got a login screen. "eureka" I thought, as I happily logged in... but alas, all I get is a white screen and a spinning connect indication. The white screen changes to a black screen in time, but it continues to spin.

I can ssh to the router and it appears to be working as a router in general (including, thankfully, the VPN working).

I upgraded it by uploading the new 386 code through the gui from a linux host on the local network. Everything went normally during that operation.

I thought maybe something was screwy after the upgrade finished when I couldn't connect to the management interface, so I rebooted it from the ssh shell. Still nothing on the gui.

I didn't do a config reset (docs said it should be ok if I'm not upgrading more than 3 versions), and indeed everything seems to still work, including my IoT separate guest networks.

I rebooted it again and got more weird results. First, when I rebooted it, the management interface partially loaded to the screenshot attached.

After the router had finished booting, I thought it was working again, as the page nearly loaded completely, but no: it still spins and buttons don't work.

Opened a private window to eliminate any cookie issues, but that just spins and eventually times out.

Attachments

• 2021-11-04 1232 Screenshot.png
    2021-11-04 1232 Screenshot.png
    457.6 KB · Views: 111
Did you read the Changelog going back to the first 386 release since you were coming from a 384 base?

Your probably due for a factory initialize / config reset, then a manual reconfigure, do not restore config or /jffs.

Just to try, reboot one more time, ssh to the router and watch top. Once everything calms down see if the webui is back to normal. There might be a background process doing cleanup, which can take hours, and if it’s interrupted, may have to start over.
Get to a manageable state then schedule some time to nuke the config and start over.

I actually did come to the same conclusion: nvram was low and I've been there before.

I took the shortcut: factory reset + restore config and it seems to have helped. Now I have some weird intermittent latency that wasn't there before. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do as you suggested eventually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!