What's new

AC1900 USB Power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cwilson

New Around Here
Howdy Gang

I have an RT-AC1900P router with a cell phone USB tethered for internet. This is a much better option than just using the hotspot and am thrilled that this works.

The problem I have is that it the phone slow charges when plugged in and sometimes will drain over long periods of use. Can I use a powered USB hub to connect the phone to the router? Is there a setting to boost the power available to the router USB?

Thanks for your time.

Howdy Gang

I have an RT-AC1900P router with a cell phone USB tethered for internet. This is a much better option than just using the hotspot and am thrilled that this works.

The problem I have is that it the phone slow charges when plugged in and sometimes will drain over long periods of use. Can I use a powered USB hub to connect the phone to the router? Is there a setting to boost the power available to the router USB?

Thanks for your time.

There is no 'boost power' setting that I know of in Asuswrt firmware.

A wireless charger for a phone that supports one would be helpful here... maybe.

Maybe a powered USB hub would work... but the only way to know with your equipment would be to try it. If you have one already in another box like a monitor, maybe you could try with that before buying one.

I wonder if you could hack a more powerful charger into the router-phone link.

I wonder if even the most powerful charger would not be enough to offset the phone's charge/discharge balance... maybe the phone is slow charging for another reason like an Android snafu, too many apps doing stuff, old battery, etc. Have you tried your scheme with a different phone to see if it can win the charge/discharge battle without intervention?

If this is not your daily driver phone, maybe you can whittle down its power consumption to get it over the line.

OE

I have the opposite problem. My Pixel 3a sits at 100%. The ZTE A7 that I got with my Visible sim is a cheap phone with no CA but they included some smarts in the phone so that it will cycle the charging automatically and go between 50% and 80%.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!