What's new

AC1900P HELP can not figure out how to Network USB drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Davhamm

New Around Here
Ok, I'm decent at computers, but Networking has always phased me.

Reformated 4TB drive to ext 4 connected to USB 3 Router sees it. Not meaning to but it is now a media server, but I still cant see the drive in windows. I did the SBVT1 thing in windows 10 so that should not be it. But from all the options this router gives I can not figure out how to set it up so the drive is seen within the network. No desire to access from the web.

Hopefully someone can help an Idiot out. spent 2 nights on this already. Lots of searching but nothing shows what to do with the interface to the router I have.

Go to USB Application > Media Services and Servers.

To turn off the media server go to "Media Server" (duh) and turn it off.

To share a USB drive on a Windows network go to "Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk". Turn on "Enable Share". If you choose the set "Allow guest login" to No then you will have to create individual "shared" folders using the options at the bottom on that page. You'll also need to setup access permissions for each folder and (optionally) additional user accounts.

Hmmm, this is how I have it set up. Ok went and turned off media center to see if that mattered. It did not. When I open file explorer and click on network it shows router, other computers and network devices but not new hard drive. Am I looking in the wrong place. When I go to pc map network drive.. nothing shows when I go to browse to find drive to map.

What firmware version are you running?

Is "Allow guest login" on or off?

What is the "SBVT1 thing"?

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_45713
Allow guest is on. ( router page has a flashing yellow exclamation point because it is.)
From Asus website:
[Network Place (Samba) Share] How to access the files on Network Devices using SMBv1 in Windows 10 ?

If you have problems with accessing network files, your device may still be using the SMB version 1 protocol, which may have been automatically uninstalled on Windows 10 due to its security concerns. For issues in Windows 10 versions ,please check the Microsoft Support Site. This might be the reason why you can no longer connect to routers, Network-Attached Storage (NAS) via SMB.

What is the "Device Name" on the Samba page?

When you expand the folder tree for the device at the bottom of the page what is it's volume label? By default it will be something like sda1, but you may have given it a different name.

Try File Explorer using the router name like this: \\routername
or by IP address: \\192.168.1.1

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER... Thanks all this finally did the trick.
It's there, it's just not fun to make Windows show it in Network Neighborhood. If you want to pursue it, we can help further.