What's new

AC1900u Downgrade firmware possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webbie

Occasional Visitor
Hello

I am a light user of a ac1900u (no mesh). Right now I am in the last 385 fw (v3.0.0.4.385.20633).
Everything that I use is working fine (HDD through SMB for example).

Now I am considering to upgrade to the last version (3.0.0.4.386.49703) mainly for security reasons (no need to improve performance).

My plan is just a dirty upgrade (reset-upgrade-reset). I read that sometimes bizarre things can happen in an upgrade. So I am wondering if in that case, I can just revert to the 385 version flashing it back, and then restore a config backup.

Does the asus allow a downgrade or does it check if it is an older fw version? Is there a limitation on what it is included in the backup? I mean from a factory reset + restore I would get the same config as now?

If I can safely go back to the same point before upgrading then I definitely give a try to the upgrade. Hopefully everything will work...

Thanks!

First of all, I'd suggest you do a hard reset and manually config your router after flashing the newer firmware, because you are jumping over many versions. It would be a pity to have those "dirty" settings affect the performance, and get you to conclude that the new (and more secure) firmware does not work.

Having said that, yes, you can certainly flash an earlier firmware. Make sure you made backups of your settings, including JFFS. As far as I know, reset and restore should get you to the same working config you had when you saved your settings. This is only for going back to your original firmware and config.

Thanks!

How can I backup the JFFS?
I have seen the option to backup optionally disabling password and transferring DDNS. But nothing about JFFS. Is it included by default in the backup?

I'm afraid that my advice regarding JFFS is based on my knowledge of Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. It's been a while (several years) since I used ASUS stock firmware.

If there is no JFFS backup option, then it's not necessary.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!