What's new

AC2900 86U vs AC2900M 86U (chinese version)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nyvram

Occasional Visitor
I see you can go to a few different stores and purchase the "M" version for $40 less than the AC2900. According to https://www.snbforums.com/threads/list-asus-router-skus.44616/ this can be used in the USA as well:

Model: RT-AC86U 2900M - SKU: 90IG0401-BC5000 Territory Code: CN/02 (China) H/W Ver R1.5
WiFi region changeable: Asia, China (Default), Europe, Korea, Singapore, The United States, Australia
May be operated in: international/worldwide (not mentioned on box or sticker)
Web interface: EN BR CN CZ DA DE ES FI FR HU IT JP KR MS NO PL RO RU SV TH TR TW UK (additional Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden)​

Am I just buying trouble (Asus decides to stop supporting the "M" version with AiMesh, etc.) by picking this up instead of the normal version?

I'm think the price difference may not be worth it if I'm going to run into trouble down the road. Anyone else on here bought the cheaper "M" flavor of this router online?

The 2900M seems to be a "low emission" or "low radiation" variant.

I'd guess that they left out some power amplifier circuitry to reduce the transmit power. This might be helpful for reducing interference with your neighbors in high population density areas. Some people might also want to have a limited range for security reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a market for people who believe that Wi-Fi RF radiation is harmful to their health or something.

Last edited:
I think M mean Mbps.
low radiation used just for marketing.
Other brand routers like netgear and linksys in the china market also have that M and low radiation word.
Nothing serious.

I've been to Hongkong for a holiday and bought an RT-AC86U because it was 90€ cheaper then in the Netherlands. I now see it is a Model: RT-AC86U 2900M H/W Ver R1.5. I setup the router and it works great also with AiMesh. Great range and throughput. Default the region is Asia (Signal -28dBm, 2.4GHz 8 meter 5GHz -45dBm), i changed it in Europe but the signal was much weaker (-40dBm, 8 meter 5GHz -50dBm). So the region is Asia again. The only problem was the AiMesh-node (RT-AC68U) losing connection after about 1 week. When i restart the RT-AC86U everything is ok again. The node is attached wired but when i looked into the settings of the 86 i saw the status was via Wifi (auto). I changed the settings in wired (ethernet). Now it works ok for 4 days so I have to wait another week to see if it will stay that way.

I've been to Hongkong for a holiday and bought an RT-AC86U because it was 90€ cheaper then in the Netherlands. I now see it is a Model: RT-AC86U 2900M H/W Ver R1.5. I setup the router and it works great also with AiMesh. Great range and throughput. Default the region is Asia (Signal -28dBm, 2.4GHz 8 meter 5GHz -45dBm), i changed it in Europe but the signal was much weaker (-40dBm, 8 meter 5GHz -50dBm). So the region is Asia again. The only problem was the AiMesh-node (RT-AC68U) losing connection after about 1 week. When i restart the RT-AC86U everything is ok again. The node is attached wired but when i looked into the settings of the 86 i saw the status was via Wifi (auto). I changed the settings in wired (ethernet). Now it works ok for 4 days so I have to wait another week to see if it will stay that way.
17 days rock solid

region Russia has been added, seems to be same as EU setting channel and power like.