What's new

AC3200 adding LAN 48 port LAN switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paul464646

Occasional Visitor
  • My ISP speed, DL=370Mb, UL=22Mb.
  • Web speed testing site = speed.net
  • All LAN cables are CAT5E or CAT6
  • 48 port LAN switch = HP J9660A
HP LAN switch connected to port 2 on the router, connecting my laptop via LAN to any port on the switch max DL=297Mb UL=22Mb, now connecting laptop via LAN to port 3 or 4 on the router, whilst HP switch is still connected to port 2 on the router, I get my ISP DL and UL speeds every time!?!

I have also moved HP LAN switch from port 2 to 3 & 4 on the router with the same max DL=297Mb UL=22Mb results and again for completeness connecting laptop via LAN to port 2 on the router I'm getting ISP DL/UL speeds!?!

With the 48 port HP LAN switch still connected to port 2 on the router, I've added another 24 port LAN switch to port 3 or 4 on the router and still getting the same max DL=297Mb UL=22Mb!?!

I welcome any thoughts

Paul..............

Try changing the Spanning Tree Protocol settings (although I can't imagine why that would create your problem). Just a thought.

Are you using Jumbo frames?

Try changing the Spanning-Tree Protocol (although I can't imagine why that would create your problem). Just a thought.

Are you using Jumbo frames?

Many thanks for your response,

I've switched on and off Spanning-Tree Protocol and running web speed test with not performance improvement. Also Jumbo frames I've switched on and off and run the web speed test with not performance improvement, from HP switch LAN side.

Very strange problem :(

Very strange problem :(
Indeed.

I wonder whether devices attached to the switch are not able to use the router's hardware acceleration. Try your tests again (via the switch vs. directly connected to the router) and monitor the CPU usage in the router's web interface (or SSH onto the router and run top). See if there's a noticeable difference.

Indeed.

I wonder whether devices attached to the switch are not able to use the router's hardware acceleration. Try your tests again (via the switch vs. directly connected to the router) and monitor the CPU usage in the router's web interface (or SSH onto the router and run top). See if there's a noticeable difference.

Again many thanks for your assistance. With the laptop connected via LAN directly to the router, running speed test the router CPU raises up to +90% during the speed test. Now connecting the laptop via LAN to the HP switch, again running the same speed test the router CPU only peaks to 45 ish % max during the speed test!!

How can I force the router's hardware acceleration to interact correctly with the HP network switch whilst devices connected to the switch?!?

Thanks again.

Paul................

Again many thanks for your assistance. With the laptop connected via LAN directly to the router, running speed test the router CPU raises up to +90% during the speed test. Now connecting the laptop via LAN to the HP switch, again running the same speed test the router CPU only peaks to 45 ish % max during the speed test!!

How can I force the router's hardware acceleration to interact correctly with the HP network switch whilst devices connected to the switch?!?
That looks like it's probably working normally, less throughput consumes less CPU. According to the SNB review even with NAT acceleration off you should be able to get over 500Mbps download. The review's bi-directional test with acceleration off shows just under 300Mbps in each direction simultaneously - presumably your speed test isn't doing downloads and uploads at the same time?

Side note: You said your testing site was speed.net. That doesn't appear to exist, was it a typo for speedtest.net?

I'm assuming that you don't have any logical loops in your network, so for example you have disabled the wireless connection on the laptop? EDIT: I'm also assuming that your switch setup is quite simple and you're not doing port mirroring for example.

You said you had the same problem when you used another switch. Was that another HP smart switch of just a dumb switch?

For lack of any other ideas, go to the router's Tools > System Information page and look for hardware acceleration (or whatever it's called nowadays). If it's not enabled it should tell you why, usually it's because QoS is enabled. Try turning off any features that are stopping acceleration.

(Sorry I can't be more specific about the router options but I don't have that model).

Last edited: