What's new

AC3200 bad purchase?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carov2007

Occasional Visitor
I need a quick answer please because I might be able to cancel the purchase.
I’ve just bought an ASUS RT-AC3200 that was at the same price than the RT-AC86U AC2900 and than a pack of 2 RT-AC66U B1.
I have an RT-AC56 that has passed to EOL by Asus (although it´s still advertised in their USA website). This one had not enough signal so as to reach to my whole 3 floors home (3 floors, but neither of them are too big, let say 50 sq meter each).
I thought that I could use the RT-AC56 as an extender. I know that this one would not have Aimesh, but I assumed that the AC3200 had it. Now checking the forum, it looks like the AC3200 is kind of forgotten son by Asus in terms of updates.
I also thought that I may be OK with the further signal strength by the AC3200 without the need of adding anything else.
So, quick question was the AC 3200 a good purchase?
Or should I go with the RT-AC86U AC2900 or with the 2 pack of RT-AC66U B1 that were at the same price?
Thanks,
PS I´m aware that nobody is a fortune teller. I’d like to hear what you´d have done if you were in my situation.

I wouldn't buy the AC3200 simply because of the lack of updates. I have one and the signal is great, it would be good for your usecase if you end up going through with the purchase. It won't be a bad purchase.

I've just hit a boot loop problem with AC86U, seems like the recent batches are not QC'd properly since others have had this problem as well.

I've never had experience with AC66U so no comment on that, but isn't that also kind of old as well? You don't have any newer models in mind? AX88U? Something not Asus?

I just purchased ac 3200 for New Years and it works likes a champ. Key thing is placement and tinkering around with the settings that best suits your needs. I have mine set on smart connect 5GZ 1 and 2 with a lower channel level. A few other setting I adjusted that worked well - optimized 3200 connection and speed. There was a security update 2 weeks ago. You have to manually update it and check from time to time. No complaints here coming from an ac 2400 and netgear nighthawk.

Last edited:
68U or 66U_B1 (is almost same with identical firmware) is an old but reliable device too and supposed to be EOL soon maybe EoY.
I would go with 86U with much better/newer/faster hardware comparable to AX which would be an even better option but too expensive and even not stable right now (maybe in a year it gets much cheaper and reliable).
Maybe better for now to get an used cheap 68U or 66_B1 in the meantime till AX is prooved standard.

Would never take an 3200 for this price more than 50US$ or € and it will NEVER get Aimesh like 68U has.

Asus AC86U is working fine here. Replaced my AC68U which replaced my N66U.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments. I'd rather go with the AC86U because I'd like to be in the main stream in terms of firmwares, updates, etc.

Now I need to figure out the return procedure

Thank you all for your comments. I'd rather go with the AC86U because I'd like to be in the main stream in terms of firmwares, updates, etc.

Had the same thought coming from a 56u. No more EOL for me and the 3200 is probably close. Hope the 3100 has years to go!

Last edited:

Be sure to grab a small USB drive while you’re at the store if you want to run the communities fancy scripts (all interactive menu-based at the command line). Diversion is used for adblocking and blocking malware domains, and Skynet is used for automatically updating your Asus firewall with IP address lists to block IP addresses used by hackers, or specific countries. It’s well worth it. I use an ultra small 16GB drive by Sandisk.