What's new

Ac3200 dropping new wireless devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Superbazooka

Occasional Visitor
I have had my Asus ac3200 for a year and a half and it has worked well for what I had connected to it..3 SSIDs, 1 for each band and 1 guest network. I have 2 tablets, 3 phones, and 2 laptops on 1 5ghz band it's on SSID. On the other 5ghz band on it's own SSID I have 2 TV's, 2 game consoles, 2 roku sticks. On the 2.4ghz band on it's own SSID I have 3 Google Home speakers, 1 Maximus front porch security camera light, 1 laptop, 5 wifi outlet plugs for 4 lamps and 1 under kitchen cabinet led lights, and then 9 wifi touch light switches that replaces the regular light switch in the kitchen, livingroom, hall and my bedroom.
I just installed the wifi light switches and 1 wifi outlet plug last weekend with no problems. Last Sunday I put the rest of the light switches in and then I noticed that 3 or 4 switches or devices and the 1 laptop were showing not online both on the switches icon and per the app and the laptop showed it was offline and couldnt connect.
I could reboot the router and everything would be online and 15 minutes to 5 hours later, 3 or 4 more devices would be offline again.**It would be no certain device, it all would be a random light switch or google speaker or the 1 laptop so it would be random on which device.

I have 1 wired security camera dvr and it works fine.

I have the latest firmware.
I even went through the PITA trouble to factory reset the router and reinstall everything and even had my cable company ISP reprovission my Arris modem.
I am paying for 200mbps from Spectrum.

I use a wifi app to see what channels my neighbors are on and I changed my channel to 1 on 2.4 band and set on 20mhz. On my 2 5ghz bands they are great and no drops.

I have 1 Nest Hello doorbell and 3 IP cameras that was just delivered but havent done anything with them since I'm having router issues.

I dont know what else to do other than sell my new light switches.
Do any of you all have any insight as I can provide screen shots of the Asus app or the web browser interface or any other info ya need.

Thanks in advance.

*** also My router is placed on a high bookshelf in my office and I have excellent wifi signal strength.

We dont use our microwave, we have cordless phones only our mobiles, and no other electronics near router.

I also changed out my cat6 cable from modem to router. Checked my antenna connections and they are good and tight.

Is your IP range restricted to a certain number of devices, if so, open it up to allow more

LAN DHCP start and end range
e.g. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Ok, I just opened it up and it shows exactly 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254
Lease time 86400.

What should I do now?

And to add to it, the laptop which is my wife's, wont connect to the router "2.4g only wifi adapter" and 2 of my wifi plugs are showing offline.

Last edited:
Ok, I just opened it up and it shows exactly 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254
Lease time 86400.

What should I do now?

And to add to it, the laptop which is my wife's, wont connect to the router "2.4g only wifi adapter" and 2 of my wifi plugs are showing offline.

That's fine the way it is...couple hundred ip's available so that's not the issue

That's fine the way it is...couple hundred ip's available so that's not the issue

Any suggestions on what to do? I've taken then 1 by 1 off and added them 1 by 1 and they all work fine for a while, then 3 or 4 just drop off line.
I just rebooted my router and my IP security front porch light "like a ring doorbell" and 4 different wifi light switches are off line. When before I rebooted the router, 4 other wifi light switches were offline and my front porch security cam light was online.
I'm totally baffled stressed and ready to remove all of the smart devices this is such a headache.

I have had my Asus ac3200 for a year and a half and it has worked well for what I had connected to it..3 SSIDs, 1 for each band and 1 guest network. I have 2 tablets, 3 phones, and 2 laptops on 1 5ghz band it's on SSID. On the other 5ghz band on it's own SSID I have 2 TV's, 2 game consoles, 2 roku sticks. On the 2.4ghz band on it's own SSID I have 3 Google Home speakers, 1 Maximus front porch security camera light, 1 laptop, 5 wifi outlet plugs for 4 lamps and 1 under kitchen cabinet led lights, and then 9 wifi touch light switches that replaces the regular light switch in the kitchen, livingroom, hall and my bedroom.
I just installed the wifi light switches and 1 wifi outlet plug last weekend with no problems. Last Sunday I put the rest of the light switches in and then I noticed that 3 or 4 switches or devices and the 1 laptop were showing not online both on the switches icon and per the app and the laptop showed it was offline and couldnt connect.
I could reboot the router and everything would be online and 15 minutes to 5 hours later, 3 or 4 more devices would be offline again.**It would be no certain device, it all would be a random light switch or google speaker or the 1 laptop so it would be random on which device.

I have 1 wired security camera dvr and it works fine.

I have the latest firmware.
I even went through the PITA trouble to factory reset the router and reinstall everything and even had my cable company ISP reprovission my Arris modem.
I am paying for 200mbps from Spectrum.

I use a wifi app to see what channels my neighbors are on and I changed my channel to 1 on 2.4 band and set on 20mhz. On my 2 5ghz bands they are great and no drops.

I have 1 Nest Hello doorbell and 3 IP cameras that was just delivered but havent done anything with them since I'm having router issues.

I dont know what else to do other than sell my new light switches.
Do any of you all have any insight as I can provide screen shots of the Asus app or the web browser interface or any other info ya need.

Thanks in advance.

It worked fine for a year and a half you say, so the issue is related to whatever you recently added.

It worked fine for a year and a half you say, so the issue is related to whatever you recently added.

When I redid my router last Sunday, I installed 1 device at a time and there was a hour or so time lapse between getting them online and everything went well. It worked fine until Monday and my daughter called me to tell me some things was not working.
So I tried to eliminate the issue being with a particular device. Im on the phone with Asus now to see where they get me. And another thing is my speeds are 5.58 download and im paying for 200mbps. When i plug directly in to modem, I get it but on wireless I getting slow slow speeds.

Here is a picture of my speed test also.

Here is a link to the wifi light switches I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nexete-Sma...ote-Alexa-Google-Smart-Life-app-/282751680538

Asus had me do the normal bs hat dance as check ssid and channel # and band assignment even though I explained to the guy I checked my channel and I put it on 1 because there was no traffic at all around me and my band is on 20mhz. So they escalated it to the next level wo should contact me tomorrow.

Attachments

• speedtest.PNG
    speedtest.PNG
    175.6 KB · Views: 311
Here is a picture of my speed test also.

Here is a link to the wifi light switches I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nexete-Sma...ote-Alexa-Google-Smart-Life-app-/282751680538

Asus had me do the normal bs hat dance as check ssid and channel # and band assignment even though I explained to the guy I checked my channel and I put it on 1 because there was no traffic at all around me and my band is on 20mhz. So they escalated it to the next level wo should contact me tomorrow.

Dumb question, but your wifi password is numeric and letters only? Product description states no special symbols allowed

Dumb question, but your wifi password is numeric and letters only? Product description states no special symbols allowed

" me with head down, kicking rocks" lol..yes, yes I have spaces and 2 special characters in the password. and you are absolutely correct as my wife "finishing up with her IT degree and as stumped as I am" just pulled out the little pamphlet instructions and it plainly said it right there.
Thank you for opening up our eyes to the simplest thing to try. As we both couldn't see the forest for the trees ... lol.

Let me try fixing that and Ill report back to let ya know the results. Wish us luck!

Ok, just changed password. I have only 7 items connected at this moment and now my 200mbps internet through my wifi is up somewhat but not where it should be. I am going to add 6 of the wifi devices 1 every 10 to 15 minutes to see what happens.

Attachments

• speed2.PNG
    speed2.PNG
    171.7 KB · Views: 572
Ok, just changed password. I have only 7 items connected at this moment and now my 200mbps internet through my wifi is up somewhat but not where it should be. I am going to add 6 of the wifi devices 1 every 10 to 15 minutes to see what happens.

Hope that fixes it for you. On the wifi speeds; you will only see really fast wifi on the 5 ghz, not the 2.4 ghz. How are you testing your wifi speed and how is it connected?

Also, your wifi speed depending on how you have things setup, will adjust your speed to the slowest client on the network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope that fixes it for you. On the wifi speeds; you will only see really fast wifi on the 5 ghz, not the 2.4 ghz. How are you testing your wifi speed and how is it connected?

Also, your wifi speed depending on how you have things setup, will adjust your speed to the slowest client on the network.

I testes it wired directly to the modem and i get close to 200mbps but on my laptop thats 2.4g only was getting what was in the pic i posted. On my 5ghz wireless smartphone I just tested it and Im getting 228.3 download and 22.0 upload. Dang, thats a way huge difference!!

I testes it wired directly to the modem and i get close to 200mbps but on my laptop thats 2.4g only was getting what was in the pic i posted. On my 5ghz wireless smartphone I just tested it and Im getting 228.3 download and 22.0 upload. Dang, thats a way huge difference!!

Yeah that's the big problem with 2.4 wifi. The slowest client on the network will drag everything down to its level speed-wise whether it can communicate faster or not. That's why 5 is better if you have a choice.

In your router admin page, network map, View List - You can see all the clients and their connected speeds. I would bet your really SLOW 2.4 clients in the list are the newly added light switches

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!