What's new

AC3200, what to do with it. Embarrassed!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wilsonbh

Occasional Visitor
I bought an AC3200 thinking it would MESH with my existing system. My bad as I learned the 3200 won't mesh so I guess I'm out $60 for the purchase. I feel so STUPID for not better researching this before I bought it. Not, it's a paperweight. I have a nice AIMESH with a 5300 base router. Works well but wanted to add a node and so I bought the 3200. What the heck is wrong with ASUS for not upgrading this router to be MESH capable? Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with it other than give it away?

It's AiMesh without AiMesh.
AiMesh is just marketing.
RT-AC3200 is EOL.
I sure do wish I had performed some better research on this router before I bought it. I feel so STUPID STUPID STUPID. I need one more node to attach to my AIMESH setup to further extend my range of coverage. What would be the best node to mesh with my system or any system. Is there an ASUS router that is favored over others for this?

Last edited:
I sure do with I had done better research on this router before I bought it. I feel so STUPID STUPID STUPID. I need one more node to attach to my AIMESH setup to further extend my range of coverage. What would be the best node to mesh with my system or any system. Is there an ASUS router that is favored over others for this?
Thinking about getting a RT-AC86U. Is that a good one? Reliable?

Is that a good one? Reliable?
What models do you have now?
The AC series will no longer be developed.
I suggest you choose something from the AX series, even the cheapest RT-AX55 etc.

Would this increase my signal strength? What is the advantage of doing this?
Yes you could extend your WiFi coverage the same as using another AiMesh node.

As @Piotrek said, configuring it as an access point is the same as using it as an AiMesh node. The only difference is that you loose the ability to manage it centrally from the base router. Instead you have to log into the access point directly if you want to change anything on it.

What models do you have now?
The AC series will no longer be developed.
I suggest you choose something from the AX series, even the cheapest RT-AX55 etc.
Another new-be question. If I get a router meshed into my system that has, as a node, the capability of WiFi 6 but by base unit (AC5300) does not have WiFi 6, will my system then support WiFi 6 or will it be ignored?

To my knowledge WiFi 5 only.

Another new-be question. If I get a router meshed into my system that has, as a node, the capability of WiFi 6 but by base unit (AC5300) does not have WiFi 6, will my system then support WiFi 6 or will it be ignored?
The behaviour is dictated by the clients. The client will use WiFi 5 when connected to the AC5300 and WiFi 6 when connected to the node (assuming the client is capable of WiFi 6). Note that this is not the same as using wireless back-haul between the router and the node.

Thanks to you all for the great inputs. I'm going to attempt to setup my EOL old stupidly bought AC3200 router as an access point.

Last edited:
This can all be done via wireless, right?
No. Once it's been changed to access point mode it must be connected to the main router with an Ethernet cable. That's why I said "If you can connect it to the base router by Ethernet..."

Last edited:
No. In access point mode it must be connected to the main router with an Ethernet cable. That's why I said "If you can connect it to the base router by Ethernet..."
Oh no! that won't work for me. I think I purchased a $60 paper weight. Was hoping to use it as some kind of signal extender. My house is not wired with Ethernet cable so everything must be wireless. I'll probably put the router up for sale on Craigslist or FB Marketplace and pursue getting something else. Dang.......

I think I purchased a $60 paper weight.

@wilsonbh, wireless AiMesh Node is a Repeater. Wired AiMesh Node is an Access Point. There is nothing much to "mesh" there because more Asus marketing is involved than mesh. Just set your AC3200 as Repeater and use it. No big deal it's not "meshed" with your main router.

Thinking about getting a RT-AC86U. Is that a good one? Reliable?

No.

@wilsonbh, wireless AiMesh Node is a Repeater. Wired AiMesh Node is an Access Point. There is nothing much to "mesh" there because more Asus marketing is involved than mesh. Just set your AC3200 as Repeater and use it. No big deal it's not "meshed" with your main router.
The AC3200 doesn't have a repeater mode.

It might have WDS but that would compromise security to an unacceptable level IMHO.

The AC3200 doesn't have a repeater mode.

It might have WDS but that would compromise security to an unacceptable level IMHO.
I don't see how I can recover from this bad purchase. It won't mesh, can't be used as a repeater and I can't use it wired to my base unit.