What's new

ac3200 - which antennas pairs are 1:2.4 1:5.0 2:5.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

consorts

i'd like to leave one of the two 5.0ghz radios disabled and leave their antennas off
but i don't know what radios go to which of the 2x3 antennas - can anyone help?

OB6yrRL.jpg

Sorry. Are you nuts? Why?

You router have 3хBCM43602, turn off one module and start to turn off the antenna, as the signal will deteriorate and you will understand.)))

Very odd that a 3-year-old router starts to get some sudden traction in the threads these days...

Is there a blow out sale that folks need to be aware of???

so if in the firmware i disable one of the two 5ghz radios,
nobody can divine which of the two antenna will fall to disuse?

there are two radio chips on the left and one on the right,
so does that mean the 2nd 5ghz radio is the one on the right?
or are both 5ghz radio chips the two on the left - nobody knows?

As was pointed out previously this is a 3x3 device. 3 of the antennas are used by one the the 5GHz radios and the other 3 are dual-band 2.4/5GHZ.

See the FCC test report (page 7) to see the layout and how they are used: https://fcc.io/MSQ/-RT0M00

I might be too simplistic here, but you can disable the radio in the Router UI.
  1. Go to Advanced Settings->Wireless->Professional
  2. Use the Band Drop-down List to select whatever 5 GHz radio you wish to disable
  3. Select the No option for Enable Radio
  4. Click the Apply button
That will disable a 5 GHz radio without taking the router apart and unplugging antennas.

3 of the antennas are used by one the the 5GHz radios and the other 3 are dual-band 2.4/5GHZ.

ok, fine - so which 3 are physically used solely by the one 5ghz. i'd like to know which of the
two 5ghz radio to disable in the asus firmware and which 3 antenna to unscrew and remove.

in the photo the positions are from left to right; yellow white red green black blue
so am i correct in assuming the 3 to the one 5ghz is wired to red black and blue?
if yes, then which of the two 5ghz radios is that in the firmware, the first or the second?

I apologize that I don't know the answer but to go to what skeal asked, "why?"

i'd like to leave one of the two 5.0ghz radios disabled and leave their antennas off

Don't worry so much - as advised, turn off one of the radios, and your question is answered - putting a radio without an antenna can actually damage that radio - it needs a load...

RP-SMA_dummy.jpg

You can find these on the Amazon...

Search for "DHT Electronics RP-SMA"

they're about 5 bucks shipped in the US..

ok, fine - so which 3 are physically used solely by the one 5ghz. i'd like to know which of the
two 5ghz radio to disable in the asus firmware and which 3 antenna to unscrew and remove.

in the photo the positions are from left to right; yellow white red green black blue
so am i correct in assuming the 3 to the one 5ghz is wired to red black and blue?
if yes, then which of the two 5ghz radios is that in the firmware, the first or the second?

Wouldn't it be much easier to just test it (for short time it should be ok)?
Remove either 3 antennas coming from left or right side on PCB, use Wifi-app on mobile or PC, if you loose 2.4G or going down 20dB in signal strenght than disconnect the other side.
Now you can disable higher band (149-165) 5G, lower band (ch.36-48) is together with 2.4G antennas.

But you would prefer to use higher band with seperated antennas, as you may see they have more TXpower.
So you will need all antennas and only disable 5G lower band in GUI.